possible move

Status
Not open for further replies.

seffysmiles

I'm mom of 2 girls with ex. I have full physical and legal custody. He only has visitation. I am constantly getting threatened with all sorts of things from both ex and ex's wife. My husband and I live a little over an hour away from him. We want to move closer to husbands job. (we live about 45min away) The reasons we want to move are for a better house, better school, town WITH a grocery store, etc. For the past 5 yrs I've been divorced from my ex I have always gone the farther route, meeting at my mom's so threats would go away. As of Jan. 2010 my ex got it to where I bring the kids to his house and he brings them home. I am already sick of threats that never end, mostly from his wife and how they are going to take the kids away from me, or I'm in contempt for this or that. Whatever. I've never been found in contempt, and don't drink, do drugs, abuse my kids, or neglect them. I just don't give my ex everything he wants. Ok, my question is that the last threat I was given was that if we move farther away I will be taken back to court and then be resposable for getting the kids dropped off and picked up. This will be our 3rd move out of the last 5yrs. (From in with now husband in cramped apt. to small 2bed home.) He has moved 4-5 times and I've never complained. If the drive time is extended from 1hr 7min to 1hr. 30min. would that really put me in a state where I'd have to drive all the way there and back? Honestly, I'm not moving out of state, or really far away. We just want to be a little closer to his job and a little father away from all the dangerous back roads I have to take. This puts me closer to the interstate. I have a lawyer but don't want to pay more money to him. My ex takes me back to court enough that we have to keep money on hand for him. Thanks

Last edited:
What you allowed to do is in your custody and divorce decree.

It should state how far away you can live.

If your move is in compliance, there should be no problem.

If your move is not in compliance, you're going to make problems for your family.

If you're in doubt, ask your lawyer if what you're planning is acceptable.

Don't just move because you think it's okay.

These are the kinds of difficulties you'll face until the kids are adults.

Don't make trouble for yourself.

no limitations on moving in the papers at all. I was just told that I can't move out of state without the courts approval. I wasn't ever told where I could or couldn't move and it's not in the papers. My papers are only about 5 pages long. I've looked through them and have them almost memorized. Just want to know if a few minutes extra drive would cost the just given 50/50 trip.

Offer to meet him at a public place close to your current home when he is returning the kids to you since it isn't that far from where you wish to move. That way he doesn't have to drive the extra since that seems to be the issue. If he agrees to that have him sign off that he does and give the courts 30 days notice of the new address and I think the problem will be solved. If not, you could always go back to court yourself and have the courts grant you permission and decide the transportation agreement. If it is not much further than you already are, I doubt you will have much trouble getting a judge to agree to the move. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back