placing a hidden camera in my cubicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimdilly

hi if a person were to put a hidden camera in their cubicle without the consent of the employer would that be illegal. The company they work for is private and the camera would only monitor their cubicle and would not record sound. So basically it would monitor their own workspace for suspicious activity. Would this be illegal or grounds for termination if discovered?

Its not the only way and its employers place to place said cameras not employee. The laws on recording people without their knowledge or consent vary by state as said and circumstance

Perhaps you should speak to your employer and ask them how they intend to resolve the problem. Perhaps you can offer the camera idea as a suggestion.

Placing a hidden camera, even if not illegal under the laws of your un-named state, might still result in termination if the employer was so inclined. Depending on the nature of their work, they may have a very strict no photography rule or some similar workplace rules. I would not place a camera until I cleared it with my bosses.

- Carl

So hypothetically how in the world would you prove something like that? Even if you did catch them in the act it would be their word against yours as the only evidence. It's like they ask you to prove it but proof of any kind is illegal.:confused:

Something like WHAT? You haven't told us what kind of "suspicious activity" you're talking about.

So hypothetically how in the world would you prove something like that? Even if you did catch them in the act it would be their word against yours as the only evidence. It's like they ask you to prove it but proof of any kind is illegal.
Don't leave anything of value that CAN be stolen.

It's about prevention, not apprehension.

But, if you raise enough of a stink with your boss, maybe they'll approve your camera idea. Talk to them, See if they have any possible solutions. Playing vigilante might feel good, but it could land you in trouble of one kind or another.

- Carl

Don't leave anything of value that CAN be stolen.

It's about prevention, not apprehension.

But, if you raise enough of a stink with your boss, maybe they'll approve your camera idea. Talk to them, See if they have any possible solutions. Playing vigilante might feel good, but it could land you in trouble of one kind or another.

- Carl

Note taken I guess prevention is the best method but in this particular situation prevention is not possible. What if you recorded them stealing it and then showed it to your boss. Of course you did a bad thing by video taping your work area with out permission but are they just gonna ignore the fact you just proved with out a doubt who the theives were and only fire you?

You like wasting our time? Ok simple if I am your Boss you present me with evidence, video tape unauthorized by me, of a theft. I fire you and the thief!:yes:

Where did the poster say anything about stealing? Did I just miss it?

The closest I can find to any kind of description is "messing with his space".

I would really like to know what it is he thinks his co-workers are doing because it might make a difference to his options.

Ok what if you take a picture of him stealing from your cubicle with your camera phone. After all everyone brings their cell phone to work and almost everyone's got a camera in their cell phone. You could just say you saw him stealing something and luckily you had your phone with you. Would only he get fire in that situation. (don't reply if you don't want to. I don't want to waste your time if you've got something else to do)

BTW: what does it matter what the purpatrators are doing as long as it's against the rules.

It could matter what LEGAL options you have.

If you're not comfortable telling us what is happening, fine. But we do not have a crystal ball to say what action your employer would take if you "coincidentally" happened to have your camera phone handy at exactly the right time. There are no circumstances whatsoever under which your employer is required to fire the perpetrator. So he might not fire anyone. Or he might fire both of you. Either is legal.

Now, if you want to tell us what is ACTUALLY happening, maybe we can suggest some safer possibilities to you. We can't provide answers in a vacuum. Or you can just give us well-what-ifs and those who are inclined to try, can attempt to give you answers in the dark that might or might not be applicable but are the best we can do because we don't have the facts.

It's up to you.

Ok what if you take a picture of him stealing from your cubicle with your camera phone. After all everyone brings their cell phone to work and almost everyone's got a camera in their cell phone. You could just say you saw him stealing something and luckily you had your phone with you. Would only he get fire in that situation. (don't reply if you don't want to. I don't want to waste your time if you've got something else to do)

BTW: what does it matter what the purpatrators are doing as long as it's against the rules.
Is there some reason you seem to absolutely refuse to bring the issue to the attention of your superiors? If you do not include them in the decision making process, you only make yourself out to be a little ... out of sorts.

If this is not about theft, and only about "messing" with your space, are you really willing to risk breaking the law or violating company policy to discover the perpetrator?

"Messing" is not illegal ... the recording might be. "Messing" is probably no against policy, recording someone very well might be. So, you are risking a lot for no real gain.

Good luck.

- Carl

sure it may look like they're only messing with your stuff on the surface. But how are you to know that's all they're doing. They may have more malicious intentions not visible to the eye. Nothing to gain? How about getting some twats out of your life. what if the supervisors were in on it? Or maybe they'd scare the purpatrators off with a warning and they'd just continue to harass you but now in an even more subtle undetectable form. Work place politics can get vicious.

WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF!!!!:rolleyes: If don't have a real situation then drop it please!!:mad: Everytime you get an answer you come back with "what if". You need to go take your meds:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back