Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Penalty for driving on probation & suspended license

Status
Not open for further replies.

berljohn

Hello, I was recently caught driving on a suspended license from a previous DUI (it was my second). I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what kind of penalty to expect. From what I could find so far it looks like there will be jail time from a few days to 6 months and a $300-$1000 fine. However I still unsure whether this information is accurate and also whether my having been on probation from the previous DUI will affect my sentencing. Should I seek legal advice? Any advice is much appreciated, I am going to court tomorrow morning and am very scared
Thank you.

You could go to jail, be fined, and have probation revoked and thereby have to serve your previous sentence.

Realistically, you will pay fines and may have to face a short probation revocation.

And, yes, you should seek the advice of counsel as this could re-open the case for which you are on probation and you could find yourself going away for a long time depending on the nature of that conviction.

berljohn said:
Could you elaborate a bit on what probation revocation means?
Thank you so much CdwJava!

You'll lose the right to drive and your license for a few weeks, maybe a few months.

If you get a smart lawyer, you can could possibly get a limited use license to commute to work!!!

If you're on probation, that privilege could get revoked. If it is, you might end up doing time for what put you on probation!!!

If probation is revoked that means that your previous charge can come back to life and you can go back before the court for sentencing anew. Usually you simply get returned to custody for a short time and released on probation again, but if your probation officer has been annoyed with you, it could be bad.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom!

I wasn't assigned a probation officer for the DUIs?
Having the previous charges come back into play sounds serious
I will let you all know how it went when(if???) I get back tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back