Paying arrears to a fugitive felon?

ValhallaSkies

Jurisdiction
Oregon
Hi all. So I'm having a difficult time trying to find an answer to my question. I've asked the local child support office and they don't seem to know anything. So here is my question.

in 2017 I took custody of my child (we have/had joint) when the other parent became a junkie and we haven't seen or heard from her in over a year now.

I recently found out she was picked up on "Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle & Driving while suspended". This was on 10/13.

She was let out on RA and did not show up for their hearing on 11/18. The result was FTA - Warrant.

She was then picked up by LE on 12/04, and was released on RA again. She was scheduled for a hearing today, 12/18. The result was FTA - Warrant.

So, I'm not sure if she is considered a fugitive now, but from what I gather, giving money to a fugitive is not legal? Do you think a Judge would dismiss the balance? The balance is a little over $3,000. (which I do pay on still)

Thank you in advance.

Hi all. So I'm having a difficult time trying to find an answer to my question. I've asked the local child support office and they don't seem to know anything. So here is my question.

in 2017 I took custody of my child (we have/had joint) when the other parent became a junkie and we haven't seen or heard from her in over a year now.

I recently found out she was picked up on "Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle & Driving while suspended". This was on 10/13.

She was let out on RA and did not show up for their hearing on 11/18. The result was FTA - Warrant.

She was then picked up by LE on 12/04, and was released on RA again. She was scheduled for a hearing today, 12/18. The result was FTA - Warrant.

So, I'm not sure if she is considered a fugitive now, but from what I gather, giving money to a fugitive is not legal? Do you think a Judge would dismiss the balance? The balance is a little over $3,000. (which I do pay on still)

Thank you in advance.
I doubt the balance will be outright dismissed...but it might be offset. Why haven't you gone back to court to deal with this in the past year+?

I doubt the balance will be outright dismissed...but it might be offset. Why haven't you gone back to court to deal with this in the past year+?

The child support office told me I HAD to finish paying it off no matter what the situation. I'm not too keen on this stuff, so I just wrote the checks so I didn't get in trouble. I also can't afford the court fees until after the new year. That's when I was planning to go back in for sole.

Do you think a Judge would dismiss the balance? The balance is a little over $3,000. (which I do pay on still)

If you are subject to a court ordered child support order, it is in your best interests to pay what the court order dictates.

You are always FREE to speak to a lawyer and see if paying the lawyer to challenge the order is cheaper than paying the order.

You have choices, citizen.

The child support office told me I HAD to finish paying it off no matter what the situation. I'm not too keen on this stuff, so I just wrote the checks so I didn't get in trouble. I also can't afford the court fees until after the new year. That's when I was planning to go back in for sole.

If you would have taken the support matter back to court much earlier, the judge could have ordered her to pay you child support (and still can). Of course, she wouldn't have paid anything, but the judge could also have ordered that your arrears and her missed payments offset each other. In other words, her "payments" to you actually take the form of lowering your arrears without a penny coming out of your pocket.

Back