Oppressive workplace?

bryanwpixel

Jurisdiction
Washington
My wife has just told me that in her workplace they have made policy banning the use of words such as "sir" and "mam". For example if she says "yes mam" or "yes sir" that can be punishable. This was done in an attempt to promote diversity. However she and her co workers are basically afraid to speak much at all. To me this seems like a very oppressive workplace. Im curious if this is even legal?

My wife has just told me that in her workplace they have made policy banning the use of words such as "sir" and "mam". For example if she says "yes mam" or "yes sir" that can be punishable. This was done in an attempt to promote diversity. However she and her co workers are basically afraid to speak much at all. To me this seems like a very oppressive workplace. Im curious if this is even legal?

Yes, of course it's legal.

There are many things to like about our country.

One of those many things is a person's right to work for an employer.

Another thing to like, if you suddenly dislike your employer's policies, you can choose to quit and seek employment elsewhere.

One day you're happily married.

Another day, you're happily divorced.

So many wonderful choices available, seek and thee might find.

I personally would not work for a place where I'm afraid to get in trouble for using manners, and my wife will not either. She put in a two weeks. Thanks yall.

I personally would not work for a place where I'm afraid to get in trouble for using manners, and my wife will not either. She put in a two weeks. Thanks yall.

Good for her. More employees should be willing to do that when confronted with an employer policy to which they strongly object rather than staying and just sucking it up. If more employees were willing to walk out due to bad policies it would have the effect of changing what policies those employers use. And even if that doesn't have that result, it's not worth the stress and unhappiness to stay and put up with it unless it's truly the only job you can get. We only get a limited time on this planet, and you don't want spend a third or more of your adult years being miserable. I hope she finds a good job that's a much better fit for her than the one she just quit.

Back