Non-Compete Clase

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bendiesel71

I have worked for this company for 10 years, and they want everybody to sign a new non compete clause, which I heard they had an attorney draw up. I along with everybody else signed one when we were hired, so I don't understand why they want us to sign a new one, which I have not yet signed. I'm guessing the old one, which I heared was something they got online or bought a generic at the local office store. I do know that it was like two paragraphs long, and have been told by some who have been here longer that the old one has no teeth and that's why they want us to sign the new one. I'm in sales, and work pretty much on commission, and this company has no patents or anything, we basocally make wall plaques of people and company's article to preserve and display. My question is if I did sign a non-compete when I was hired, how hard is it to hold me to if I started my own company or worked for a competitor? I mean we are not selling anything that unique or they own patents on, it's quite common. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks

That would depend not only on the laws of your unnamed state, but also the exact wording of the non-compete.

I have worked for this company for 10 years, and they want everybody to sign a new non compete clause, which I heard they had an attorney draw up. I along with everybody else signed one when we were hired, so I don't understand why they want us to sign a new one, which I have not yet signed. I'm guessing the old one, which I heared was something they got online or bought a generic at the local office store. I do know that it was like two paragraphs long, and have been told by some who have been here longer that the old one has no teeth and that's why they want us to sign the new one. I'm in sales, and work pretty much on commission, and this company has no patents or anything, we basocally make wall plaques of people and company's article to preserve and display. My question is if I did sign a non-compete when I was hired, how hard is it to hold me to if I started my own company or worked for a competitor? I mean we are not selling anything that unique or they own patents on, it's quite common. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks

You said it best, I'll paraphrase it: "we don't have patents or anything".

If you want to keep the job, sign the doggone document.

You're not a rocket scientist, and you don't sell rockets, or have patents, either; you simply sell wall plaques (on commission).

If you're not planning on opening that business anytime soon, sign the document.

We can't tell if the document you're being asked to sign in the near future is valid or onerous.

If it worries your, advise you employer that you'd like to consult with your attorney BEFORE signing the doggone document.

Then HIRE a local attorney to review the document and have him or her advise you accordingly.

Be prepared to shell out $500-1,000 for that advice.

My free legal advice, sign the doggone document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back