No compete clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country

When I returned to employment with my company after a 6 mo separation they had me sign a piece of paper they told me was a confidentiality form saying that I would not discuss the workings of the company with anybody else...later I found out that it was a no compete contract...I am a professional mechanic with many many years exp...can they garnish my wages if I went to work with another company?...do they have a right. To keep me from earning a living?..they didn't really let me study the clause just told me it was a confidentiality clause nothing to worry about

They can't attach your wages.
They could POSSIBLY sue you for what they claim is a breach of the no compete agreement.
Will they?
They often don't, but some do.
Will yours?
Don't know, can't say.

One, OP, you made a fundamental mistake signing ANYTHING without reading it first.
Two, if you want to know where you stand now, you will probably want to consult with employment law attorney directly. He or she can review the agreement and assess whether it would hold up under state law.
Disabuse yourself of the notion that you have an inalienable right to earn a living. If the agreement is enforceable, then your then former employer could arguably have a judge issue an injunction preventing you from working for a competitor.

FWIW, without reading the entire agreement or the material provisions I nonetheless suspect this agreement may be flawed and consequently unenforceable. However, any guesstimate here will pale in comparison with an assessment obtained as a result of a direct consultation with experienced counsel. He or she will be in far better position to offer you an informed opinion of your rights.

Finally, your prospective attorney will likely advise you that your former employer cannot garnish your wages earned at your next job prior to prevailing in a lawsuit and obtaining a judgment against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back