need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm0213

I went to my little girl school to attend a school program. An hour and an half into the program I realize i did not see my little girl, so I ask around and no one had seen her. So I went to her teacher and the teacher pull out her keys and went to her classroom while I followed and unlocked the door. There was my five year old little girl sitting facing the wall with the lights oof and door locked. She was locked up in the classroom all only for almost two hour any thing could have happen to her. When I confronted the teacher she started smiling like it was alright which made me feel this has been going on. So what can I do about this.

I went to my little girl school to attend a school program. An hour and an half into the program I realize i did not see my little girl, so I ask around and no one had seen her. So I went to her teacher and the teacher pull out her keys and went to her classroom while I followed and unlocked the door. There was my five year old little girl sitting facing the wall with the lights oof and door locked. She was locked up in the classroom all only for almost two hour any thing could have happen to her. When I confronted the teacher she started smiling like it was alright which made me feel this has been going on. So what can I do about this.

Is this a public school? Did you file a report with CPS or the police for child neglect?

Yes this is a public school. It just happen today so no I did not file a report. I did not know what to do about this so I am trying to get some advice. I tried contacting the broad of education but got no response

Contact a personal injury lawyer forget CPS.
There is in law intentional, dignitary tort of False Imprisonment. Its defined by the following elements as:

∙ Defendant intentionally
∙ By acts or threats,
∙ Causes Plaintiff
∙ To be totally confined,
∙ For an unreasonable amount of time
∙ Within boundaries, physical or intangible, established by Defendant,
∙ With no reasonable means of escape,
∙ To Plaintiff's contemporaneous knowledge of the confinement, or to Plaintiff's harm,
∙ Without consent or other legal justification.
Tort law is a make whole award with common law remedies including punitive damage, intentional infliction of emotional distress (pain and suffering),and compensatory damages.

A complete restraint upon a person's liberty of movement without legal justification. Actual physical contact is not necessary; a show of authority or a threat of force is sufficient. The person falsely imprisoned may sue the offender for damages. The suit would be brought against officials improperly, illegal and total restraint of the childs liberty.

Last edited:
I agree that you should contact CPS immediately. Whether the school is public or private is not as important as the fact that an infant (by legal definition) was left unattended by the adult responsible for her care and safety. Physical and/or psychological harm may have occurred.

We don't have all the details, but the previous posters have some very good suggestions. I might also add contacting your local news station's investigative reporters; they eat this stuff up. You'd be performing a valuable public service by making other parents aware of this inexcusably dangerous situation. This action would also force your school board into a full investigation of the teacher and her disciplinary methods (I'm inferring from the available information that the situation was a disciplinary one; forgive me if I'm wrong). It sounds as if this teacher needs to be stopped--and you may have the power to do so.

Talk to CPS.

How has your daughter reacted to this situation? I don't know if I'd bother with a PI lawyer. It's also not clear this was intentional, not that that makes a whole lot of difference - it shouldn't be too difficult to prove negligence in the circumstances. The bigger question to my mind is whether and how the child was harmed.

definitely false imprisonment and child endangerment! she was left unsupervised, anything could have happened to her. Did the teacher tell you why she was being punished? Did your daughter say if this happens alot? contact the school board and see if this is standard policy, if it has happened to other children too, see if their parents knew. You will have a stronger case with more parental backing, and the school will have to do something about it. I dont know about personal injury though....because nothing happened, and claiming emotional damage is a bit of a stretch..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back