My son has full custody of his 3 year old son;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycojade

Dec. 2003 my son found out he was the father of a 3 year old boy -- from an ex-girlfriend. She was separated from her husband at the time my son & her were dateing. My son & her broke up (in early 2000) & we never heard from her until this past Dec. when she called & said she couldn't take care of him & asked my son if he wanted him? He took him & had the DNA done & everything legalized for full custody.
When she called my son she did not have him -- her husband had him & he thought he was the father. After a few weeks she did get him & she gave him to my son then. (It turned out she was just trying to hurt her husband; & useing my grandson as a "pawn".)
Anyways; what I need to know is: what can I do if something should happen to my son (I hate thinking about it but....it something that I need to do).
my grandson & son lives with me; so I am helping to raise him. He has adjusted living here well --- He has never even asked for his mother or her ex-husband "his dad" for his first 3 years of life.)
I think he was just passed around so much he got use to it.
Anyways; is there something I could do so I would have full custody; in an event that something happened to my son. I love my grandson so much I wouldn't want to lose him. His mother signed him over saying she needs help --- she uses drugs & she does need mentally helped. (she told the Judge this herself too)
I don't want losing him to her or her family -- they never call to ask how he is or anything; it's like if he doesn't even exists to them. Thank you.

you (actually your son) should go to an attorney and have some paperwork drawn up in case of his death or serious disability affecting his ability to function as a parent. A will of course should be the first, then some other things, among them provisions for guardianship. You can be named as a guardian.

But you should have this done by a legal professional, not do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back