My manager grabbed my wrist and shoved my arm away from her.

First of all, there was nothing rude about my prior response. Second, your comment that "even [you] know that" "[n]o one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace" -- aside from being wrong -- suggests you already knew the answer to the question you asked, so I have to wonder why you bothered posting here if you already knew the answer to the only question you asked. Third, I could think of half a dozen situations -- none of which are excluded by the scant facts you provided -- in which your manager's actions would not be inappropriate.

But you now better than anyone else, so I'll not waste anymore time on you.

@Elodie

Bullies, batterers, abusers, crass, rude people generally never become socialized and civilized.

The handwriting is on the wall.

Start looking for an employer who won't allow violence, bullying, or inappropriate touching in the workplace.

Don't allow uncivilized, violent, savages to drag you down to their level.

No one owns you.

You don't have to permit anyone to touch you, if you don't wish to be touched.

That might not be a law, but all personal and human rights need not be enumerated in our body of laws for you to enjoy such a right.

There may not be a societal penalty for every unwanted touching, but you can apply a personal penalty by avoiding savages, bullies, brutes, and abusers.

@Elodie

Bullies, batterers, abusers, crass, rude people generally never become socialized and civilized.

The handwriting is on the wall.

Start looking for an employer who won't allow violence, bullying, or inappropriate touching in the workplace.

Don't allow uncivilized, violent, savages to drag you down to their level.

No one owns you.

You don't have to permit anyone to touch you, if you don't wish to be touched.

That might not be a law, but all personal and human rights need not be enumerated in our body of laws for you to enjoy such a right.

There may not be a societal penalty for ever unwanted touching, but you can apply a personal penalty by avoiding savages, bullies, brutes, and abusers.

Thanks very much.

No one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace. Even I know that. Thank you very much for your incredibly intelligent and rude response.

YOU are rude AND arrogant. You have also not provided enough details about this situation for anyone to answer any real questions about it.

"No one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace" That's what you said.
I repeat, people touch people at work all the time. I didn't say it was okay to grab someone and shove them away.

No one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace. Even I know that.

One day, Sam and Dave were at their job as steelworkers. They were working on the 57th floor of a new high-rise office building. Suddenly, Sam saw another co-worker, Susan, slip and fall. Fortunately, Susan caught herself but was left hanging from a beam. Dave, who was only a few feet away from Susan, turned to Sam and said, "Sam! What should we do?!" Sam, being a very logical person -- albeit one not educated in the law -- said, "Grab her arms and pull her up, you idiot!" Dave scoffed at the notion, telling Sam, "No can do, Sam. 'No one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace'!" Sam turned toward Susan and continued to ponder what to do when all of a sudden Susan's grip gave out and she fell to her death.

We aren't talking about a 2 year old here. We are talking about an adult in the workplace. While immature behavior certainly exists, you have told us nothing at all about why this happened or the context in which it happened. All you have said is this other person grabbed your wrist and shoved your arm toward you. Aside from the fact that I very much doubt that is how this other person would describe the encounter and their actions, there are understandable reasons someone might do this, and less logical or professional ones. I doubt very much that this person walked up totally out of the blue, grabbed your wrist and shoved your arm toward you, then went about their day as though nothing happened.

How you respond depends on a million factors we can't possibly know including why this happened, your relationship with your coworkers, the work environment, your options for reporting it internally, what consequences you are willing to live with, and if there was any harm to anything besides your ego.

Your options are to do nothing and let it go, find a new job, speak to the person that did this about it like an adult, report it to another manager/HR, or file a police report. No guarantees but it is generally a good rule of thumb that if one is complaining about one's boss, expect one of you to not be there the next day. If it isn't something so major that you think the employer will fire them over over it, I'd reconsider tattling.

Back