My manager grabbed my wrist and shoved my arm away from her.

Elodie

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
My manager is caustic and a bully. I've worked at this place for just two months - on Friday she grabbed my wrist and physically shoved my arm away from her. I was near the register drawer, but wasn't in her way at all.

on Friday she grabbed my wrist and physically shoved my arm away from her.

Did you call the police and make a complaint against the attacker?

If you are physically assaulted by superiors at work, you might want to seek another employment situation where employees can do their work without being accosted by superiors.

The most appropriate place to address this matter is with the company HR department.
You did not ask a question, but I assume since you posted here you are wondering if you can sue over this. Technically yes, but really... No. You would get nowhere and only make people angry. Try not to burn bridges and risk your job, or to make it hard to find new employment.

Well, if you expect anything to happen, you need to report it to someone.

And you still haven't asked a question.

The most appropriate place to address this matter is with the company HR department.
You did not ask a question, but I assume since you posted here you are wondering if you can sue over this. Technically yes, but really... No. You would get nowhere and only make people angry. Try not to burn bridges and risk your job, or to make it hard to find new employment.

I don't want to lose my paycheck.

You've lost your dignity.

The next time she slaps you around, you'll lose more of your dignity.

Sooner or later, you'll become her punching bag.

Be safe, there are millions of abusers in this world.

So, since you've not asked a question and you don't want to report anything, I guess you're okay with what happened.

In that case, have a good evening. If you ever do have a question, we'll be here.

Well, if you expect anything to happen, you need to report it to someone.

And you still haven't asked a question.
Sorry.
So, since you've not asked a question and you don't want to report anything, I guess you're okay with what happened.

In that case, have a good evening. If you ever do have a question, we'll be here.

I did ask a question (see below). Thanks so much for your help.

Question: can a manager at my workplace physically take my arm and shove it away from her in an angry manner

Obviously she can, because she did.

Look, will you just tell me what it is you want to have happen, so I can tell you what action to take?

can a manager at my workplace physically take my arm and shove it away from her in an angry manner

Since this did happen, it should be obvious that it can happen. Whether it was appropriate depends in large part on why your manager did it, and your several posts in this thread shed no light on that.

What result are you seeking to achieve?

Since this did happen, it should be obvious that it can happen. Whether it was appropriate depends in large part on why your manager did it, and your several posts in this thread shed no light on that.

What result are you seeking to achieve?
No one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace. Even I know that. Thank you very much for your incredibly intelligent and rude response.

No one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace. Even I know that. Thank you very much for your incredibly intelligent and rude response.

There is no such law that covers the workplace in all situations. Maybe if you gave a little more background on what this manager was intending to do, that would be helpful. Why were you close enough for her to do so?

First of all, there was nothing rude about my prior response. Second, your comment that "even [you] know that" "[n]o one is supposed to touch or grab anyone in a workplace" -- aside from being wrong -- suggests you already knew the answer to the question you asked, so I have to wonder why you bothered posting here if you already knew the answer to the only question you asked. Third, I could think of half a dozen situations -- none of which are excluded by the scant facts you provided -- in which your manager's actions would not be inappropriate.

But you now better than anyone else, so I'll not waste anymore time on you.

Back