Mental Health Thread #7 -- Summer's Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like/drink coffee. :)

Me either, but my husband practically needs an IV of coffee to get the day started so I'm always aware of where we can get coffee in an "emergency". On the 4th of July he didn't have his usual morning coffee and was starting to get grumpy about 11 a.m. We were getting ready to watch the parade but luckily we were near McDonald's so I insisted he go get a cup so I wouldn't have to deal with the Mr. Crankypants he becomes when he hasn't had any caffeine!

I wonder if the thinking on 12th of the month is a lot of people do hiring/firing at the beginning/end of the month so the 12th is the best way to average?

How times have you had/heard this conversation. "So we lose all our overtime when there's a holiday?" No you didn't lose anything. You didn't work any overtime.

Almost as many times as I hear from those on long term leave that they are "losing" the holiday, even though we aren't charging PTO and they are getting paid. Still think they should get to bank that holiday for later use. Um, no, you are getting that day paid like everyone else.

Dear Benefits: Please cancel my health insurance immediately. I am relocating to the UK and do not expect to return. Attached please find a copy of my plane ticket and itinerary.

Dear Employee: On June 11th you updated your address in PeopleSoft to your UK address. At that time we notified you that since your HMO is not effective in the UK, you had 30 days to take action if you wished to keep your benefits. Since you took no action, earlier today your insurance was cancelled retroactive to June 11.

Dear Benefits: Wow, I'm so efficient, I get the little jobs done without even knowing it! Cheerio.

dear benefits: Please cancel my health insurance immediately. I am relocating to the uk and do not expect to return. Attached please find a copy of my plane ticket and itinerary.

Dear employee: On june 11th you updated your address in peoplesoft to your uk address. At that time we notified you that since your hmo is not effective in the uk, you had 30 days to take action if you wished to keep your benefits. Since you took no action, earlier today your insurance was cancelled retroactive to june 11.

Dear benefits: Wow, i'm so efficient, i get the little jobs done without even knowing it! Cheerio.

lol.................................

At least your employee told you they were moving. We had one relocate overseas, not change her address and didn't tell us for months. Her supervisor, who lacks what one would call management skills, just placed her on a leave of absence in case the employee later wanted to move back.

Ugh. I have that same issue with one manager. No matter why the employee wants leave/long vacation/etc, she says yes to the request. Even if they truly just want to quit...just in case they ever want to come back. Makes it really hard to get rid of bad employees! Unfortunately she is a good manager in other ways, so I can't get rid of her and bring in someone who follows company policies~!

I can't do anything about mine per contract, but I have been coaching them on actually following our policies and you know, managing.

Too quiet here this week. My DH is working Friday and Saturday again, so maybe I'll get some things done around the house. Birthday party and company coming in two weeks so I better get started soon.

Today's my last day of work before vacation...woo-hoo! I'll have three days at home to get ready and then we're off for Disneyland. Once we survive three days of Disney insanity with grandkids and other extended family, we head up the Pacific Coast Highway. We haven't had a real vacation in three years so this is much needed and we are beyond excited!

Have a great one, cynthiag. The only thing with a vacation is that you have so much to do when you get back though I guess it depends on where you work & your job though.

My favorite thing at Disney Cali was the parade at the end of the day. Mostly because I got to sit down and watch.

We switched our dental effective Feb. 1st. I am absolutely fascinated that out of a 12 employee company, FOUR different employees have come to me screaming because their dentist said their insurance was invalid, claim they never saw any of the approximately dozen emails on this subject, never received any new cards or mailings (riiiiiight), and know nothing about this, including one of the owners who was in the meetings and part of the decision to make the switch!

Reminds me of once when I had recently converted the company from a vacation/sick/personal policy to a PTO plan. Somehow or other a couple of employees got the idea that they were getting an increase in vacation, but that they would still have the same amount of sick time. One of them came into my office roaring about how I had never told them that sick days would be deducted from their PTO!

Without saying a word, I reached into my desk drawer, pulled out the acknowledgement of exactly that point with his signature on it and handed it to him. He read it, handed it back, left my office quietly and I never heard another word on the subject from him (or any other employee, for that matter).

On the other hand, at a different former employer we also once made a change to the dental plan, and despite the fact that we could show them the information in their Open Enrollment packages and prove in a few other ways that they'd had notification, we had so many high level employees insisting they were never notified that we finally had a mini-Open Enrollment for just the new dental plan. The IRS and DOL would probably have had kitten fits if they'd known about it and may even have disallowed the elections, but it was decided Very High Up that the risk of Federal involvement was outweighed by the sheer annoyance factor.

"Without saying a word, I reached into my desk drawer, pulled out the acknowledgement of exactly that point with his signature on it and handed it to him. He read it, handed it back, left my office quietly and I never heard another word on the subject from him (or any other employee, for that matter)."

Priceless

Employees generally get so much correspondence (especially in larger companies - I know we did & most not "important") but you need to read everything.

I'm revamping all of the paperwork for new hires and employees now. No need to give them their very own rainforest.

I try to keep things short and sweet, but so much paper is required by law or if you don't include all the pertinent information then you answer the same questions to each person individually. It's sometimes a Catch 22. Good luck Elle in your endeavor.

We are a small company though, and that sort of stuff is minimum, we just don't need it. When I send out an all employee email it's rare, and it's always something that they NEED to read, so when LITERALLY a THIRD of the company says I never told them this stuff it's really frustrating. (Unlike, say, emails from the person who sends the Christmas party info, which they all somehow manage to read that, and then use "Reply All" to RSVP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back