Mental Health Thread #7 -- Summer's Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got spoiled to 8 hr days, so these 9 hr days here lately are a little rough for me.
Holy crap! Lessee ... I had two 19-hour days last week - had a jury trial and then had to work until 2 AM when the trial days were over.

46 hours of OT in two weeks. In July I will have 72 hours of OT in 2 1/2 weeks! The only reason it's not more is that I will be on vacation for almost two weeks that month (Comic-Con bound!)

I have a new appreciation for my nice warm, dry office. I've been watching my son & four other guys working outside my office all day in the pouring rain. Just the rain wouldn't be so bad, but it's the job they're doing...they work for the sewer department, and every time I've looked out the window for the past six hours my son has been either down the manhole or standing there looking down into the manhole. I don't think they've gotten any sort of a break the whole time they've been here, much less a lunch break...although I guess who would feel like eating lunch after you'd just crawled out of the sewer? Yuck! :p

In my part of the state, summer days can regularly reach constant temperatures of 105+. When I see CalTrans or county word personnel working on asphalt, I can only grimace at the thought that they are hanging out in what is likely 120 degree temperatures much of the day! At least I have workin gA/C in my car (and I don't have to fight with icky folks all THAT often).

I can't imagine working in that kind of heat. Honestly, I can't imagine doing much of anything in that kind of heat.

We'll be at Disneyland in late July and are already wondering how well we will function in what is bound to be much hotter weather than we're used to. Luckily, our hotel is right next to Disney so if it gets too warm for us cold-blooded Alaskans during the hottest part of the day, we can go sit in the pool and then go back to the park in the late evening.

I worked in an A/C office. I can't imagine working outside in 100+ degree temperatures. (though sometimes I did work a lot of hours each week)

In my part of the state, summer days can regularly reach constant temperatures of 105+. When I see CalTrans or county word personnel working on asphalt, I can only grimace at the thought that they are hanging out in what is likely 120 degree temperatures much of the day! At least I have workin gA/C in my car (and I don't have to fight with icky folks all THAT often).

One of the challenges we have in staffing youth camps is convincing high school/collage-aged youth to work outside in the summer in Texas, for a couple hundred bucks a week plus room & board. They can usually make more working fast food and it's air conditioned. Have already had a couple throw in the (sweaty) towel after one week.

I'll stop complaining about my AC not working. It has been in the 90's here with high humidity and little wind.

From what I've read, it takes about 2 weeks to acclimate to the heat. Tell those youngsters to try it with several layers of protective clothing on and then put on a welding hood. I really don't know how they do it.

I'll stop complaining about my AC not working. It has been in the 90's here with high humidity and little wind.

Do you have someone coming out to look at your A/C? Do you have at least a fan to use in the meantime?

From what I've read, it takes about 2 weeks to acclimate to the heat. Tell those youngsters to try it with several layers of protective clothing on and then put on a welding hood. I really don't know how they do it.

I would faint or have heat stroke.

They have been "working" on my AC since last Sunday. The unit needs to be replaced. I have fans but have been staying elsewhere most every night because it is miserably hot and stuffy at my place.

:( Bummer.........................

Eh ... 95, 100, 105 ... I got used to it about 3 years after moving here from San Diego.

More worried about the furry ones. I have lots of water for them and they have discovered my tub is much cooler than the rest of the house. The windows and slider are open so they can get some fresh air and breeze. I especially worry about my 12 year old who is already not doing well. The little guy is a fighter and I wasn't expecting him to still be with me given his health, so hopefully he will weather this too.

I grew up without A/C in the humidity of S. Louisiana. And that was back when we wore pantyhose.

If you are around it all the time, your body adapts. When I spend the day in AC and drive home in AC, it bothers me more. I rarely run my AC usually and when I do, it is typically just long enough to cool things down a bit. I set it at 78 most of the time.

This Canadian girl moved to New England as soon as she graduated because the humidity in Philadelphia was slowly sucking my life away.

I grew up without A/C in the humidity of S. Louisiana. And that was back when we wore pantyhose.

I grew up w/o A/C also in St. Louis area which can be quite hot & humid. Also wore pantyhose to work.

I spent about 20 years in Louisiana. Although I can't say I ever wore panty hose, I did have to wear a necktie and sport coat to work much of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back