Mental Health Thread #3 - Any vacations planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doncha just love it?

Then of course, there's when there are exceptions. "Why can I do this then and not now?"

Because the law says so.

Then you hear - then the law is unfair.

Well, it may be unfair but it's not illegal.

But the best one was hearing someone ask someone else, "did you get a copy of the bulletin from the tax office, I didn't see a bulletin, I'd like to see it." It wasn't even anything that really affects her job. She just heard about it and well, it just didn't seem right to her.

I had someone tell me yesterday that the SSA's IRMAA charges "aren't legal". Okay, take it up with the SSA. We're going to charge you the full price for your retiree benefits, including your Med D plan that comes as part of them, whether the SSA considers you high income or not.

You've gotta love when you email out the required Affordable Care Act Notice read receipt, and only get back about half the read receipts, even though you put "READ ME" in the subject line.

That's because in some languagues "read me" means "ignore me". And for those who understand "read me" in your language, it often triggers panic attacks or some kind of phobia that robs them of the ability to read. This phobia also automatically triggers the question "what does this say." I'm not sure if this phobia is covered by ADA, but you might need to do some assesments and perhaps accomodate these employees by hiring a reader. If you can find one because, they are rare.

You've gotta love when you email out the required Affordable Care Act Notice read receipt, and only get back about half the read receipts, even though you put "READ ME" in the subject line.

I agree! Seems like that happens every time we have a major thing that I have to send out to everybody. The ones I really love are the ones who, when I follow up on WHY I didn't get back a read receipt from them, say "Oh, I didn't have time to read it and I figured you'd contact me about it and then I could ask you to explain it to me." ARGH!!! :angryfire

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to say "You know, reading & comprehension are a very vital part of your job. If you are unable to read and comprehend the documents that I send you (which I generally "dumb down" to begin with) then obviously you are unable to perform your job, in which case we'll need to let you go and fill your position with someone who actually can fulfill the duties of the position. Buh-bye!"

cynthiag, don't you love the way txls volunteered you! :)

I didn't want anyone else to steal her marvelous idea until she had a chance to run with it first.

Right, she might win a suggestion award!

Just had one walk in "what is this?" Me: Did you read it? "No, I figured I would just come ask you. Me: I love that. I wish all 50 employees would come ask me instead of reading. It's my favorite thing.

I'm not even sure he picked up on the sarcasm.

LOL - he probably didn't. He probably thought he did you a favor.

We have 17,000 benefits eligible employees and about 5,000 benefits eligible retirees.

When we have a mass communication about to go out, we have staff meetings in which we attempt to anticipate as many of the questions we might get asked as we can. Invariably on that list is, What does this mean?

We have 17,000 benefits eligible employees and about 5,000 benefits eligible retirees.

When we have a mass communication about to go out, we have staff meetings in which we attempt to anticipate as many of the questions we might get asked as we can. Invariably on that list is, What does this mean?

Yikes! :eek: We're going through our insurance renewal right now and I must remind myself to be grateful that we only have 110 benefits eligible employees.

I can't even imagine 22,000 people on benefits. Yikes!

Change of subject. I've always been taught that you don't say someone is out to lunch, off for the day etc, but rather, say they're away from their desk or away from the office, or simply unavaible to take a call. I'm surprised at how often I call other businesses and get "oh he's at lunch" or even something more personal.

Interested in opinions.

When I was working & answered someone else's phone, I went with the non personal responses.

Not for example - He went to the restroom & took the newspaper. I'm not sure when he will be back. :)

My answer usually differs depending on who's calling. If it's someone I know has a more informal relationship with the person they're calling, I might say "oh, he's at lunch but he should be back in an hour" but if it's someone I don't know or don't know what kind of relationship they have with the person, I'll say "I'm sorry, he's not available right now, may I take a message or would you rather leave a message on his voicemail?"

I was an executive secretary (back when being called a "secretary" wasn't taken as an insult) and an administrative assistant for quite a few years and I learned very good phone etiquette back then and I've tried to maintain that even though I rarely answer anyone else's phone any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back