Mental Health Thread #2 - Spring Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there's one in every crowd. He would ask me for something and I'd say, "I don't have time to do that for 100 people." His reply was always, "Oh no you don't have to do this for everybody, just ME!"

3-20-13 Happy Spring!! People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

Maybe I should say it's spring on the calendar anyway. :)

Question - What is everyone's opinion of cover letters at this point? Are they still necessary or a waste of time in the days of email and online applications?

You hear a little bit of everything these days. As an employer I do glance over cover letters because pieces of information may be imbedded in there that don't appear in the resume. (non-work-related experience, industry familiarity, relevant experience that's more that 10 years back etc) I have to add that I also get as many "red flags" in cover letters as resumes. ( Typos, grammar, T.M.I.)

As an applicant I always try to write a job-specific cover letter that shows how my skills match the employer's needs. I know most aren't read, but I don't know which prospective employer will and which won't. My boss told me that my cover letter made her read my resume.

I agree with Ida! When I receive a cover letter with a resume and it's related to why this person wants to work for my company and they state the nature of our business and how they could be a good fit, I am really impressed!.
They have made an effort to find out what we do, either with an on-line search or through other means. When I was searching for a job many moons ago, I would always do my homework to find out about the company that I was applying to. I get a little disappointed when an applicant asks what we do here?

Having worked for a life ins. co. (with life ins. co. a part of the name), I would be a little concerned if someone didn't know what the company did. I would think it would be rather obvious. :)

I think cover letters are a necessary waste.

Seriously. I don't think they serve any particular purpose, but more employers want them than not, so if you expect to be considered, you need to provide one.

I wouldn't say it's necessary or required, but sometimes it helps, if done properly, and I don't see where it hurts anything, unless done poorly, so why not send one.

I just...when sending an e-mail, it seems silly to write an e-mail greeting, and then say "see attached cover letter." Or do you just copy what would be your cover letter and make it the body of the email?

Hey Betty,
I can understand your concern with an applicant asking "what do you do here" @ an insurance company. But, my company is a wholesale distributor (to other wholesalers) of chain, cable and other assorted industrial hardware products. So, our company name in itself. would not give the applicant too much of a clue of what we actually do. We do not manufacture anything, but we do convert products i.e. rewinding cable from a 5000 foot reel to a 300 foot reel per customer need. With that said, it really impresses me when an applicant does some on-line history of our company before coming in to interview.

The advantage of working where I do - no one asks "what do you do here".

Of course, the word "University" in our name kinda gives it away to anyone who doesn't already know. :D

When sending a resume with an email greeting, I think that would take the place of the cover letter.

Hey Elle, You are right! I think that the he person who wrote this piece is a brain dead idiot, humor or not.

Hey Betty,
I can understand your concern with an applicant asking "what do you do here" @ an insurance company. But, my company is a wholesale distributor (to other wholesalers) of chain, cable and other assorted industrial hardware products. So, our company name in itself. would not give the applicant too much of a clue of what we actually do. We do not manufacture anything, but we do convert products i.e. rewinding cable from a 5000 foot reel to a 300 foot reel per customer need. With that said, it really impresses me when an applicant does some on-line history of our company before coming in to interview.

Oh, I understood that - I was just saying by the name of the co. I worked for you definitely should know something about the co. I agree that if someone is applying for a job at any co. they should (I would) check out information on the co. including what they do.

OK...who sent the penguin poo here???? It's spring don't ya know??? Geez Cuz, I feel sorry for you! You got hit hard again didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back