Mental Health Thread #2 - Spring Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically I could earlier than that. But retirees from my current employer who meet certain requirements get subsidized health insurance for themselves and their spouses for life, and that's HUGE. I will meet those requirements in 9 years; I will be eligible for full SS benefits two years after that. My plan is to then work two more years at full time, and then another two at part time (the max I can do part time without affecting my pension) by which time I will be eligible for the SS bump. I've run the SS numbers both ways and it's enough (for me) to be worth it.

So...15 years.

My health ins. (now it's a supplement to medicare) is paid for by my former employer since I had in over 20 years with the co.

In order to get your Medicare supplement fully paid by my employer, you have to have retired prior to 1996. So I won't get 100% subsidy.

But if I retire when I plan to, I'll get approximately 70% of it subsidized. And they'll pay the same amount of my husband's for his lifetime as well, even if I predecease him. That's still a pretty good deal.

Yes, it certainly is!

I'm so far from retirement it isn't even funny. Meanwhile, my coworkers are dropping like flies and with good reason. I'm totally jealous. Maybe I should start playing the lottery.

As I approach Medicare eligibility age I am becoming increasingly annoyed that most of my friends, classmates and my YOUNGER sister, have already retired. (The common denominator seems to be that most of these folks were government employees.) Getting laid off due to company closings, the impact of the last four years on my IRAs and family health care issues have reset my retirement clock several times. How health care costs shake-out in the next year will ultimately determine whether many in my situation can retire, or will go-out at our desks in a pile of compliance forms.

Plan early, put away as much as you can spare, and go-for-it when you can!

It may be true about the government employees though I wasn't a government employee. I worked for a life ins. co.

I am a government employee. Cushy early retirements are no longer the case. At least not here. Better than nothing but certainly not like it was once upon a time. To get much of anything, I have another 22 years to go.

Things just happened to work out for me - what I did & benefits the co. offered .......

If you have a Payroll question but you called the HR office because Payroll didn't answer their phone, press 2.

If you want to know why you were terminated when you're in a right to work state, please Press 1.

Retirement and/or medical benefits from your employer after retirement? What's that?

Thank you for calling the payroll department. If you have not completed your new hire paperwork press 3 for the volunteer department.

Yesterday it was sunny & 70+ (beautiful), today cloudy & mid 40s, tomorrow we might get 1-3 inches of snow though I'm hoping it misses us - I don't want any. I'm tired of winter - the cold, snow .......

st_patricks_day_graphics_09-1.gif Betty3 3-17-13 12:50am cst

If you are holding the memo I wrote in front of you, and you want to know what is says, press Z.

That would be a useful one around here.

A while back a guy who's on a committee with me calls and asks me the date and time for our upcoming meeting. I say, the chairman has been sending out e-mails with the date & time, copies of the agenda, and other information you'll need to know for the meeting. Didn't you get them? He says, oh, yeah, I got them, but I never read any of that stuff. I just call the chairman up and ask him to tell me about it before the meeting. :eek:

Didn't you feel like strangling him!

Didn't you feel like strangling him!

Oh, yeah....I like the guy but he's one of those who thinks he can get by on being charming and talk his way out of things, which apparently works on many people (including the committee chairman) but I wasn't about to fall for it. I told him to pull up the e-mails and figure it out himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back