Mental Health Thread #10-Fall is Coming

As imperfect as my family is, reading some of the stuff on these forums makes me appreciate them so much.

Yes indeedy, double indeedy.....

It would be an interesting statistic to see how many times on this forum somebody writes "I can't afford an attorney."

I mentioned the same thing to my wife, except I added, they probably buy dope, liquor, beer, cigarettes, etc...

Exactly! My granddaughter mentioned that her Dad had taken the whole family to eat at an expensive restaurant 3 times recently and the bill was $200 each time. Then I hear that he can't afford his $300.00 rent.

Exactly! My granddaughter mentioned that her Dad had taken the whole family to eat at an expensive restaurant 3 times recently and the bill was $200 each time. Then I hear that he can't afford his $300.00 rent.

The entire planet is imploding.

I doubt things can ever be improved.

Thank God I don't have 50 years to endure more of this demise.

It saddens me when I look at my grandkids.

Do any of you Payroll people know if there are legitimate legal or security reasons my PR software does not offer a report that prints historical hourly rates? For instance, I just want to run a report replicating check stubs, or show someone his annual raises in progression.
If there's no good reason, it may be just the unfriendly write-your-own-formula nature of the system. We use a construction industry job-costing program of which PR is an integrated module; sadly I don't have any comprehensive HRIS.

Wow, I hope he called the DOL on the FMLA violation!
He got the notice form DOL that they are going to investigate the FMLA violation. If nothing much comes of it on his behalf, hopefully it will help future employees at that place. They don't give employees any FMLA information at all, don't have any notices posted etc.

@Betty: I don't think there is. I think a lot of payroll software out there just sucks. I guess the manufacturers figure everyone outsources payroll, so it is the last module to get any updates or improvements. My software's payroll is horribly clunky (I have an employee with THREE local taxes and you should see the work arounds I have to do to make it process that). And other than the absolutely necessary updates to keep it compliant with tax codes and ACA, it is basically the exact same thing it was when I started here 10 years ago.

The guy with three local taxes wouldn't be in PA, would he?

I once submitted a proposal to my then-employer that we change payroll vendors. It was denied and the asst Controller admitted that the only reason it was denied was that he'd JUST gotten all the local taxes from our PA branch settled and he couldn't face doing it all over again with a new vendor.

Do any of you Payroll people know if there are legitimate legal or security reasons my PR software does not offer a report that prints historical hourly rates? For instance, I just want to run a report replicating check stubs, or show someone his annual raises in progression.
If there's no good reason, it may be just the unfriendly write-your-own-formula nature of the system. We use a construction industry job-costing program of which PR is an integrated module; sadly I don't have any comprehensive HRIS.

@BettyC --I do know that QuickBooks (which is what we use for in-house payroll) used to offer tracking and reporting in the Payroll Module, but decided to take it out in 2015. I think they viewed it more as an HR function than a Payroll function. So I am not sure that it really is a legal or security reason (or if it is they haven't said why they stopped the function). But if other payroll companies also refuse to allow it, it leads me to believe they know something we don't.

I do agree that I wish our payroll system still had it as it was useful. But do understand if you have multiple employees who have access in and out of payroll that the employer may not want that information so easily tracked.

If it is QB, you could possibly print out a payroll summary report filtered for just that employee by payroll period and if you have the hourly rate in the paycode (which shows on the paystub), that would at least give it to you by payroll period over time.

That said, I track rates in a totally separate spreadsheet more as an HR function (but I wear both hats).

@cbg, hee. No, I'm in Ohio. Not sure about PA, but our curse here is definitely many, many, little local fiefdoms with their own income taxes. And to top it off many of them have an income tax, AND the state also lets them level a separate income tax for schools, which they administer and which follows state income tax rules (so 401k is pretax). The local taxes are administered by the municipalities, and based on FICA wages. FUN!

AHI folk - Do you all remember Cat? She's in the flooded area of Louisiana. Her first report was that she was fine, but she later said that water was starting to back up and she was hoping it wouldn't back up into her house or car. Prayers, good thoughts, or your personal equivalent requested.

I also was able to have a short conversation with Anne, aka Beth3 who lives in a Milwaukee suburb. She really is fine. Thank goodness.

Trying to explain to someone that a W9 is not what he needs for his "employees" for his little side business. He says, "well my tax guys say I need them to fill out a W9 so they can get a 1099." Nope not the case. You don't give employees a 1099. He says," well they are contract employees." Nope "contract employee" is not even a valid term. A person is one or the other. "Well my tax guy says..." Fine, listen to your tax guy, but I advise you not to call them employees. "Well, I have to because..." GO AWAY!!

Oh yeah, I get that. I just don't get why he came to me in the first place asking questions, then argued everything I told him. But he's just that type anyway.

I think you know I work in a call center for Benefits. We get calls that should have gone to Payroll, to HR, to the gym, to the health carrier, to the Registrar, to Campus Services, and who knows what all else. I had an email chain last week when it took three tries before I convinced her that it wasn't that I didn't understand why she wanted the letter she was asking me to write, that I was refusing. I was refusing because I DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE INFORMATION SHE WANTED ME TO WRITE ABOUT.

They just don't get it, do they?

Just occurred to me that there are some of you that I don't see anywhere but here, so you may not have gotten the memo: my first book was published last Thursday. You can find it on Amazon, on iTunes and on Barnes and Noble.

Back