Malicious Damage 1st Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Buden

Im 17 years old, live in SC, and have a clean slate. This is the first charge I have ever received. Me and a juvenile were charged with "malicious damage" for slicing 24 school bus tires. The amount of damage was $5000. I gave my statement on what happened and I was processed through the county jail and release on a PR Bond since it was my first offense. The judge that issued the bail told me he hasn't given a PR bond in years but due to my age and since it was my first offense, he was letting me go on a $5000 PR bond, meaning if I don't show up to court, I will have to pay the $5000. Since this is my first offense, what kind of punishment should I expect to get out of this? Should I seek an attorney?

Im 17 years old, live in SC, and have a clean slate. This is the first charge I have ever received. Me and a juvenile were charged with "malicious damage" for slicing 24 school bus tires. The amount of damage was $5000. I gave my statement on what happened and I was processed through the county jail and release on a PR Bond since it was my first offense. The judge that issued the bail told me he hasn't given a PR bond in years but due to my age and since it was my first offense, he was letting me go on a $5000 PR bond, meaning if I don't show up to court, I will have to pay the $5000. Since this is my first offense, what kind of punishment should I expect to get out of this? Should I seek an attorney?

Here's what you should do (step by step).
If you've violated one of these steps, don't do it again.
Your attorney can assist with remediating what you may have inadvertently done.

Admit to nothing.
Do not give a statement to the police.
Plead NOT guilty.
Do not miss any court appearances.
Stay out of additional trouble.
Follow all instructions relative to your PR bond.
Hire an attorney.
If you can't afford an attorney, ask the court to appoint one to represent you.
Do NOT admit to doing anything, even to your attorney.
If you do, his/her ability to fight for you is limited.
A good attorney will not ask if you did it.
Whether you did it, isn't relevant to your defense.
Speak to NO ONE about any of this.
Do not have ANY contact with the other person, alleged to have been involved in this incident.

You are charged with a Class E felony.
At least that is what it seems.
You are ALLEGED to have damaged property belonging to the State of North Carolina, or one of its subdivisions, a public school district.

Since it is your first offense, if you do as I've instructed you above, this will most likely be bargained away.
If it is, you could be convicted of a misdemeanor.
You'll most likely get a small fine, do community service, take a class, be put on probation, and perhaps in the end; everything will be erased from your records!

Heck, you might even find yourself acquitted of everything before or after trial.
Just keep your mouth shut about this.
Do no speak of this ever again, to anyone.

Stay away from the school property.
Stay away from the other person.
Trust NO ONE, until this is over!
Stay out of all trouble.

You can walk away with little trouble from this, but NOT if you get in MORE trouble!

Last edited:
The crime was committed in South Carolina not North. I Already admitted to doing it. I was interview at school by two investigators and they told me it would be easier if I admitted to doing it because if they came back upon further investigation I would be marched out of school in hand cuffs with no possibility of a PR. My parents are working on getting a lawyer as of today. I just don't want to go to jail and ruin my senior year of high school, it was a stupid senseless prank and I regret it. What are the chances of me going to jail from this? SC declared this as a felony because the damages are $5000. Would the damage price be split between me and my partner-in-crime to get it drop to damages of $2500 per individual making it a lesser degree of a felony?

The crime was committed in South Carolina not North. I Already admitted to doing it. I was interview at school by two investigators and they told me it would be easier if I admitted to doing it because if they came back upon further investigation I would be marched out of school in hand cuffs with no possibility of a PR. My parents are working on getting a lawyer as of today. I just don't want to go to jail and ruin my senior year of high school, it was a stupid senseless prank and I regret it. What are the chances of me going to jail from this? SC declared this as a felony because the damages are $5000. Would the damage price be split between me and my partner-in-crime to get it drop to damages of $2500 per individual making it a lesser degree of a felony?

North Carolina, South Carolina.
My advice still stands.

I would AVOID contact with the other person.
No, they won't lessen the penalty assessing you EACH with half of the entire amount.

You won't go to jail or prison, IF you do as I've instructed.
This will take time.
This isn't about regrets or remorse now.
That ship has sailed, when SOMEONE did the deed!

Now you focus on doing as YOUR attorney instructs.
Do not waste time on explaining what happened, now.
Reread my advice.
It won't hurt you.
For your sake, follow it.
This seems BIG, and it is.
But, BIGGER things have been overcome by doing as I instructed.

At 17 I would expect them to follow through with the felony charge. You aren't a young kid anymore.
If you are lucky they will reduce to a misdemeanor, but either way you should expect to pay back the money with either your hard earned cash or with time. You should expect fines and a LOT of community service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back