Is there anything I can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had him at 17 with someone you aren't even in a relationship with. The kid is going to figure out he was unplanned without you saying a word.

Sweetie pie, don't worry about what MIGHT happen, just be the best mother you can be to the child.
The child will love you and you will love the child.
Sure, tongues will wag, let them, just keep doing the best you can do.
We all have made mistakes.
A million mistakes won't prohibit you from doing a billion things correctly.
Good luck.

I am not looking to start a long debate or argument, but I feel the need to point out that no comparison was even made by AJ in the earlier comment in the way that was being suggested.

He wrote, "But, you probably don't want to say anything more to your child, except to say, 'God sent you to me, honey, like He sent Jesus to Mary and Joseph!'"

What he is saying, is that, she could tell her child that he was a blessing as Jesus was to Mary and Joseph. No where did he say there was actually any similarities (such as rape) in her situation and the myth he referenced. He simply provided a possible answer that could be provided to her son when he gets older and begins asking questions. If any comparison was made at all, it was that children are blessings in both, and all, situations.

You can disagree with the advice, but try some reading comprehension before you call someone out.

As far as the OP, just try to be the best parent you can be and hope you never have to cross the bridge of a court battle with the scum.

I comprehend just fine. The answer is still very disrespectful an objectionable. It has nothing to do with any legal advice and assumes that the poster holds a particular set of beliefs she may not hold. There are plenty of ways to convey whatever message AJ was attempting to impart without offending the beliefs of others. He chose not to do so. That is worth calling out. The purpose of this board is to give legal advice, not play pastor.

You wrote, "Pretty sure Mary wasn't drunk and it is offensive to compare a religious figure to a passed out teenager and potential rapist."

You insinuated that he compared a "religious figure to a passed out teenager and potential rapist."

I was simply stating that he did not make that comparison.

I also stated that you can disagree with the advice. Personally, I am an Atheist. I get your point about everyone not sharing the same views and the need to respect others views, even if different that that of your own.

I wish for this not to be a huge deal or debate. I wish you well and will agree to disagree on the comparison part.

I comprehend just fine. The answer is still very disrespectful an objectionable. It has nothing to do with any legal advice and assumes that the poster holds a particular set of beliefs she may not hold. There are plenty of ways to convey whatever message AJ was attempting to impart without offending the beliefs of others. He chose not to do so. That is worth calling out. The purpose of this board is to give legal advice, not play pastor.

This is your warning.
Don't flame, attack, or troll other posters.

No offense but if you are an atheist, you wouldn't see the offense. A guy telling a sexist joke doesn't get to tell a woman who is offended by said joke that because he doesn't find it offensive, she shouldn't either. For the record I am not just speaking for myself here as several others have come to me to let me know they found the remark equally offensive. Not flaming or trolling, just pointing out that certain comments are offensive to some and asking politely that posters refrain from alienating others with unnecessary commentary and comparisons.

No offense but if you are an atheist, you wouldn't see the offense. A guy telling a sexist joke doesn't get to tell a woman who is offended by said joke that because he doesn't find it offensive, she shouldn't either. For the record I am not just speaking for myself here as several others have come to me to let me know they found the remark equally offensive. Not flaming or trolling, just pointing out that certain comments are offensive to some and asking politely that posters refrain from alienating others with unnecessary commentary and comparisons.

This is your last warning.
Please don't flame, troll, attack, or criticize other posters.
Thank you.

This is the last I will post in this thread.

I am intelligent enough to understand when something can be offensive no matter what my personal beliefs are. In fact, I understand religion very well. I spent over half my life going to church and learning about religion. I also can put my personal beliefs aside to view something objectively.

Intended or not, I find it very offensive that you assume I am incapable of understanding how something can be viewed as offensive just because I do not share the same beliefs as those who may be offended.

I never said it wasn't offensive or spoke on the quality of the advice in my own view. I only stated that you misinterpreted what was being said and explained why. I never said if you should be offended or not. I do remember saying that you need to work on your reading comprehension skills, and obviously you haven't yet.

I wish you the best and apologize to you specifically for the angst I have caused you.

I also apologize for breaking the rules with what I said in this post and understand any consequences that may result.

AJ, I expect that you will follow the same advice regarding criticizing other posters that you are handing out. Elle has every right to protest if she is finding something offensive without being called a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back