Is an emergency contact required by law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann_Nonymous

I recently received a call from the person in Benefits who handles new-hire paperwork (the Corporation does not have a Human Resources department) stating that she did not have an emergency contact on file for me and is required by law to do so.

Is this true and, if so, is this under federal or Arkansas state law?

(I asked another employee who has stated he has no living relatives if he had an emergency contact on file, and if so, whom; his answers were "no" and "no one." I further asked if he had been contacted for an emergency contact; he stated that he had not.)

(I recently had a sexual harassment complaint filed on my behalf by my manager against my director, a "friend of the family". The director's actions led, at one point, to a crack-up, in which he called my family of origin to the ER, even though they are not on file as my emergency contacts. This was mentioned in recent discussions with the company's "independent investigator," that is, attorney, investigating the case. Given the timing and circumstances, I have to at least wonder if this is a case of Legal "covering their derrieres.")

(I have been employed with the Corporation for over six months.)

Please advise, and thank you for your assistance.

I recently received a call from the person in Benefits who handles new-hire paperwork (the Corporation does not have a Human Resources department) stating that she did not have an emergency contact on file for me and is required by law to do so.

Is this true and, if so, is this under federal or Arkansas state law?
That sounds right I believe it falls under state Workman's comp laws. So I would say yes the benefits administrator or H.R person is correct. If I was going to sniff out the statute I would check the Arkansas Workman's comp statutes (Workers' Compensation Law, §11-9-101 et seq.). http://www.state.ar.us/labor/pdf/laws_relating_labor.pdf
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/SearchCenter/pages/arkansascode.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back