Injury to Child Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonH

I'm in Idaho (Nampa to be specific)

recently my wife and I bought a little motorized scooter for our kids (age 9)
yesterday evening they were riding around the block in our subdivision. and My daughter ran in to an occupied vehicle, which of course caused her to fall off the scooter and get some road rash and bruises.. and because the scooter was motorized I learned that it is illegal to operate on streets and sidewalks, seeing as how the officer couldnt cite my daughter, she chose to charge me with misdemeanor injury to child. I basically learned that charge is the same as child abuse charges.

my question here is, is that charge appropriate for the circumstance? I realize I'm liable for the damage caused to the person's minivan that my daughter hit. But to be charged with Child abuse on top of it? is this not a little ridiculous? if My dad was charged with child abuse for all the times I got hurt as a kid doing things I was not supposed to do, he'd be on death row.

should I be pleading guilty to the charge or pleading not guilty and hiring an attorney?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

The difference is twofold: One, we grew up in a different era, and, two, you permitted your child to ride the scooter. I strongly suspect that no prosecutor is going to hit you for child endangerment charges. So, consult legal counsel and consider pleading not guilty and see what the prosecutor offers ... he might just drop the matter entirely.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back