Informal marriage in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhjordan123

I had an informal marriage ceremony performed while on vacation in Texas. I have never lived in Texas and have no plans to ever living there. There was never any declaration of the informal marriage through the state. We are now separated after 5 months and I am wondering what my liability might be; I would like to avoid someone popping up 15 years down the road claiming they are entitled to my assets for the last 15 years. From what I have read, there are 3 requirements that have to be met for an informal marriage to be valid; one requirement is the couple has to live in Texas and represent themselves as a married couple. Also, if the 3 requirements have not been met within 2 years after separation, the informal marriage is viewed as having never taken place.
My main questions are:

Ca I be subjected to an official divorce action as if I were formally married through the state(marriage license or declaration of informal marriage).

If I can be subjected to a divorce how much can I possibly be taken for in a 5 month relationship?

I had an informal marriage ceremony performed while on vacation in Texas. I have never lived in Texas and have no plans to ever living there. There was never any declaration of the informal marriage through the state. We are now separated after 5 months and I am wondering what my liability might be; I would like to avoid someone popping up 15 years down the road claiming they are entitled to my assets for the last 15 years. From what I have read, there are 3 requirements that have to be met for an informal marriage to be valid; one requirement is the couple has to live in Texas and represent themselves as a married couple. Also, if the 3 requirements have not been met within 2 years after separation, the informal marriage is viewed as having never taken place.
My main questions are:

Ca I be subjected to an official divorce action as if I were formally married through the state(marriage license or declaration of informal marriage).

If I can be subjected to a divorce how much can I possibly be taken for in a 5 month relationship?

First of all, Texas doesn't have informal marriages.
As a non-resident of Texas, I'm guessing you we're involved in a sham or mock marriage ceremony.
Some people call them, Tom-Tom marriages.
I can't see a claim arising against out of a harmless prank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back