Incorrect date on divorce judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasper22

Yesterday I received a copy of my divorce judgment. So I read through it not expecting anything odd, but I notice that the date of separation listed on it is 11/22/09 which is 2 months prior to her leaving me. That seemed odd, so I do a little research and find that for a divorce in IL you have to be legally separated for 6 months. The divorce hearing was 6/10/10 and she told me she was leaving 1/14/10 and left a week later. So that gap is not the 6 months without the incorrect date given.

So my question is: Is there any importance to this date being incorrect? To me it seems very wrong that she skirted the law by giving an incorrect date of separation.

Yesterday I received a copy of my divorce judgment. So I read through it not expecting anything odd, but I notice that the date of separation listed on it is 11/22/09 which is 2 months prior to her leaving me. That seemed odd, so I do a little research and find that for a divorce in IL you have to be legally separated for 6 months. The divorce hearing was 6/10/10 and she told me she was leaving 1/14/10 and left a week later. So that gap is not the 6 months without the incorrect date given.

So my question is: Is there any importance to this date being incorrect? To me it seems very wrong that she skirted the law by giving an incorrect date of separation.

Among all the forms that you signed in order to obtain the divorce, there is, or should be, one that states that you and your ex waive the 2 year separation requirement, and that you have been separated for 6 months. The date of separation would also be noted on the form.

If your ex skirted the law by providing a false date, then you did too, simply by signing the form.

So I looked at the docs I have signed and there is no date on them?

I'm not sure if this would help me, but she has really screwed me over when I was trying to be nice to her. So I'm kind of looking for a way to force her into full filling the few small requests I've made of her.

So I looked at the docs I have signed and there is no date on them?

I'm not sure if this would help me, but she has really screwed me over when I was trying to be nice to her. So I'm kind of looking for a way to force her into full filling the few small requests I've made of her.

If you're hoping to void the divorce, I don't think that would do it. Check with your lawyer to be sure.

Is your ex not following the terms of the divorce decree?

The problem is I'm a dumb ass and gave her everything she wanted, which you'd think after having paid for her to go to college for 5 years while she didn't work and then moving to Chicago so she could leave a few months later that I would know she would continue to screw me over if she could and she did.

The cell phones weren't handled in the divorce petition so she canceled her 2 lines leaving me with with $400 in early termination fees (sadly the phones were in my name). This marriage has cost me at least $50k that I know I'll never get back, so just getting back that $400 would at least be some small victory in what otherwise has been a complete disaster for me.

On a side note, I was "awarded" the car, but she won't give me the keys because her name is still on the lease. Would I be responsible for paying to get her name off the lease, or would I get in trouble if I just stopped paying for the car? (I don't drive it's just more crap I got stuck with because of this marriage)

Thanks

You've spent $50k on her. Why not spend $2,500 more on a lawyer for yourself. There are many loose ends with your "divorce" that should be secured.

You should obey the spirit and the letter of the law and your divorce decree. If you're supposed to make lease payments, do it. Don't use the failure or ignorance of others as an excuse for your disregard of the law.
Judges won't accept those lame, tired excuses.

You shouldn't have signed an undated document. That was your mistake. The time to have noticed that was before you signed it, not after the decree was granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your advice guys.

She really did a good job tricking me. Now that it's to late to do anything I just feel like a dumbass for believing her when she was telling me this was the easy route and she just wanted me to be happy.

Live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back