In search of international representation in Texas while i'm in the UK

Scott Dye

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello,

I moved to the UK about 15 months ago. In that time I lost my job and it took me 9 months to find a decent job as they are hard to come by here. My child support is currently in arrears. I need to find a way to modify my child support order in Texas from the UK. Living in the UK we do not have Private health care, the cost of living is higher and our wages are lower. My wages are considerably lower. So I am looking for representation that is certified in Texas (Tarrant county) to handle the modification. In the UK the child support laws are not as harsh being the economy here. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to find someone familiar with the UK laws as well as Texas law.

Hello,

I moved to the UK about 15 months ago. In that time I lost my job and it took me 9 months to find a decent job as they are hard to come by here. My child support is currently in arrears. I need to find a way to modify my child support order in Texas from the UK. Living in the UK we do not have Private health care, the cost of living is higher and our wages are lower. My wages are considerably lower. So I am looking for representation that is certified in Texas (Tarrant county) to handle the modification. In the UK the child support laws are not as harsh being the economy here. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to find someone familiar with the UK laws as well as Texas law.
Sorry - this is not a referral board. You can use your favorite search engine, or contact the Texas State Bar.

Hello,

UK Law is irrelevant to your child support case and the court won't entertain any reference to it.

As you current circumstances are entirely of your own making it is very unlikely you will receive a downward modification of your support obligation.

https://www.texasbar.com/

I moved to the UK about 15 months ago.

If you stay in the UK, you'll make it very difficult for any state (not just Texas) to collect anything from you.

Note, I typed DIFFICULT, not impossible.

Eventually, however, Texas (working with the Federal Government -State & HHS-) will catch up to you.

Read how the Texas AG catches up to child support scofflaws:

How We Enforce | Office of the Attorney General

This might impact you eventually:

The OAG can deny a noncustodial parent a new or renewed passport.

From the US Government perspective (OCSE -part of HHS- is the U.S. Central Authority for international child support. We work with states and countries to provide assistance to families seeking support when family members live in different countries):

International

You might use the internet and research Texas family law attorneys.

Doing nothing will eventually be extremely harmful to you in a myriad of ways.

If you try to run, you'll only be safe from the long arm of US justice in places like Syria, North Korea, or Venezuela; but as a person from the USA you'll face other pressing issues bigger than unpaid child support.

You need a lawyer in Texas, and there's a "find a lawyer link" at the bottom of every page at this site.

I would like to find someone familiar with the UK laws

Why? The laws of the UK are not relevant to your situation, and the likelihood that any lawyer admitted to practice in Texas will have any significant degree of familiarity with UK laws is extremely low.

Back