Illegal Towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassupmane

I have my been towed from my apartment complex. I had a parking sticker, and that clearly means that my car was not supposed to get towed. The towing company towed my car anyways, what can I do? I don't want to pay the money because I am a legal resident of the apartment complex. I think the towing company has a grudge against me. What can I do?

Go to the management's office, file a complaint and ask management to handle the situation for you (assuming that your parking sticker is current). Good Luck!

Ok. I'll try that. By the way, my sticker is current. Now, if the towing company has no reason to tow it, but does so anyways, would this be considered grand theft auto because the towing company took my car for no reason what so ever?

What state are you in?

And what reason did the tow company provide for towing the vehicle?

- Carl

I am in the state of Illinois. The towing company hasn't provided any reason to tow the vehicle. I have not talked to them yet. I just want to see what my options are to settle this matter. I know the towing company did this because they hold a grudge against me.

Even if they have a grudge, they still have to have a reason to tow the car - a LAWFUL reason. Until you talk with them, you won't know.

- Carl

Ok. I will go talk to the towing company. Can I press charges against the towing company, if I find out that they illegal towed my car?

That depends on the laws in your state. It would likely be a civil matter, but you could certainly talk to the local police. An unlawful or improper tow is more likely to simply result in civil penalties to the tow company. However, if they towed the car for some other ostensibly valid reason (parked in a red zone or some other reserved space, for instance) then the tow just might be valid ... provided other provisions of law were adhered to. Out here a representative from the management would have to be present and approve the tow ... you might want to look that up in IL and see if something similar is required for private property tows.

In my state it would not be theft unless we could establish issues of intent - an unlawful tow would generally be a civil matter with prescribed penalties.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back