I want custody of grandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julbin24

I live in New York, my daughter just divorced this month, but her ex keeps calling child protective services and threatening to fight for full custody. My daughter is irresponsible at times, but her ex is a crazy person!!! They live in Michigan. How do I go about getting custody of my grandson? Is it going to be a problem because I live in another state? Do I have to prove that they are unfit parents?

I live in New York, my daughter just divorced this month, but her ex keeps calling child protective services and threatening to fight for full custody. My daughter is irresponsible at times, but her ex is a crazy person!!! They live in Michigan. How do I go about getting custody of my grandson? Is it going to be a problem because I live in another state? Do I have to prove that they are unfit parents?

You can't, unless they lose their parental rights.

In America these days, that is rare.

So, all you can do is pray, cry, and pray some more.

You have no rights to another person's child, no matter how bad a parent you think them to be.

Yes you will need to PROVE both are unfit and in process you will likely ruin your relationship with your own child. If this is path you want to take then first dicsuss your issues with an Attorney to ensure you even have a case

Yes you will need to PROVE both are unfit and in process you will likely ruin your relationship with your own child. If this is path you want to take then first dicsuss your issues with an Attorney to ensure you even have a case

Although I totally agree with you SM I will add that OP will need an attorney in Michigan. New York is not, based on the posting of OP, applicable.

Agreed, Bay.

And I'd like to remind OP that the acceptable level of parenting is perhaps depressingly low - it is INCREDIBLY difficult to prove both parents are unfit without solid and abject proof of abuse and/or neglect.

"Irresponsible at times" won't wash - AT ALL.

I think to get the custody of your grand son, you need to contact or hire a lawyer in your area and consult the problem with him/her, tell all the required and concerned information to your lawyer. Who could better suggest and help you in seeking your grand son's custody by court. Otherwise it might be more teasing and time consuming to resolve with your daughter and her ex-husband.

Do not mislead this poster. She can consult an attorney in her area all she wants and nothing will happen because she lives in NY while the child is in Michigan. Further she has been given appropriate advice. Unless she can prove BOTH parents completely and utterly UNFIT (meaning that they better be living on the street, doing drugs, whoring themselves out in front of the child, not feeding the child and allowing him to run the streets naked), she is NOT going to get custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back