I have a 14 year old niece who wants to move out

L

LilyJames

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I have a 14 year old niece who wants to move out and live with me. She is being treated badly, was sent away for 2 months in a mental hospital, and her parents make her take 6 different types of medication. Her body is so use to these drugs that she now has withdraws.. She looks very ill and they even lock her in her room at times, by turning the door handle with the lock out. I am very concerned about her and I can not do anything to help. Please help my find away she can live with me.? She needs my help. I am afraid children like this is why the runaway and sometimes death. please help.

She won't be living with you. You can forget that.
If you are concerned about abuse you can report what you know or suspect to social services and they will investigate.

You contact children's services to investigate. This isnt about you its about child. If you feel the child is being harmed then thats the call to make.

It always cracks me up when a family memeber thinks they are going to be the knight in shining armour. Come riding in on their horse with their sword raised thinking they could do a better job in raising someone else kid. Knowing that if what they say is true..... They are sitting back doing NOTHING to help this child. NOTHING..... You honestly make me sick to my stomach because if what you are saying is true. You have failed to contact proper depts, to help this child. Instead you wish to step in and thing... You're better parent then your brother/sister.... again without thinking of the child by contacting REAL people that would help the child TODAY.... Plus bear in mind.... there are doctors on the other end speaking with the child. then making the best call they can to help the child. Based off information that this child has given them.

It always cracks me up when a family memeber thinks they are going to be the knight in shining armour. Come riding in on their horse with their sword raised thinking they could do a better job in raising someone else kid. Knowing that if what they say is true..... They are sitting back doing NOTHING to help this child. NOTHING..... You honestly make me sick to my stomach because if what you are saying is true. You have failed to contact proper depts, to help this child. Instead you wish to step in and thing... You're better parent then your brother/sister.... again without thinking of the child by contacting REAL people that would help the child TODAY.... Plus bear in mind.... there are doctors on the other end speaking with the child. then making the best call they can to help the child. Based off information that this child has given them.

Amen, wonderful post, loaded with honest information.

I can only agree 100% with your reasoning and conclusion.

I'll leave it with one question that bothers me about these types of posts.

Why does it always boil down to custody, rather than help for the child?

I'll digress and try to draw a comparison and/or contrast to slavery and a petrnalistic attitude we also need to outgrow, too.

We delude ourselves as a nation when we say we've outlawed slavery, as if there was ever anything good about legalizing (or allowing) slavery to exist in the first place.

We do the same thing in regard to the attitude of males being in charge of families and the woman to whom he married.

This country and all of its people have a great deal of work to do, and I'll never see the solution that we claim to already have resolved.

I have a 14 year old niece who wants to move out and live with me. She is being treated badly, was sent away for 2 months in a mental hospital, and her parents make her take 6 different types of medication. Her body is so use to these drugs that she now has withdraws.. She looks very ill and they even lock her in her room at times, by turning the door handle with the lock out. I am very concerned about her and I can not do anything to help. Please help my find away she can live with me.? She needs my help. I am afraid children like this is why the runaway and sometimes death. please help.

Her parents can't just make her take medication. I'm sure it's prescribed by a doctor for some reason especially if she spent 2 months in a mental hospital. There is obviously some medical issues she has - people don't just get locked up in mental hospitals for no reason and a doctor won't prescribe drugs (if they are ethical and moral) for no good reason.

You're right you really can't do much to help her. Why do you think they "treat her badly?" Do you know her medical history or condition? Have you talked to her parents? If she is being "treated badly" who have you contacted to help her? To stop the "bad treatment?" Oh nothing. Ok. I think you really don't know her entire situation or the medical aspect of it and you need to just butt out. If she's being abused you call the cops or CPS. You don't just sit back and do nothing.

Back