I am being ordered to Show Cause - what do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greycat

I was served papers by a Sheriff a few days ago. I have a court date next month where I have to show proof that I am unemployed and have been unemployed for 3 years. I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I know it could never be as simple as walking in with nothing and hoping the judge believes me. I'm a very frightened and helpless person - it's not something I'm proud of, but it is a fact nonetheless. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder as well as having anxiety attacks associated with driving a car and leaving the house. I was fired three years ago due to issues with driving to work after having a major car accident. I have never collected unemployment and it has only just now come to my attention that I might be able to claim disability. I owe child support and back child support but I really have no source of income. My fiance supports the two of us off of 8 dollars an hour. Because of my ineptitude in handling legal issues, my drivers license has already been suspended, but I don't drive anymore so it didn't affect me much. I do sometimes think that I might be better off in jail where my fiance won't have to support me anymore, but I suppose that's not really the best way to handle things. I'm already extremely anxious at the idea of standing before a judge without my fiance by my side and I'd really like to have what I need with me so that I don't have to say much. It says the court will appoint me an attorney at the commencement of the hearing if I request one, but I don't see how that will help much since I need advice right now. Should I ask for an attorney? Will it help at all? How does one prove that they have no money? Thank you for your time.

Yes, ask for a court appointed attorney.
Make no statements about your case, until you speak with an attorney.
Do appear at court hearings as instructed.
Make sure you are well groomed, clean, and dressed appropriately.
You do not have to prove anything at your initial hearing.
But, you must appear.
Be on time.
You can visit Social Security and ask for a record of your LIFETIME earnings.
You can also do that on the internet.
Your lawyer will also order a record for you.
Most likely, someone has been using your identity and your social security number.
If this as you say, it is all a mistake.
Just relax, and get ready to defend yourself.

Ideas of what to wear to the courthouse:
Conservative dress – something you would wear to church, work or a nice social function. (If you wear a uniform to work, it is usually ok to wear to court – unless you wear shorts to work.) Wear clothes that fit – if you have gained or lost a lost of weight, please buy something new for your courtroom appearance
Men:
• Suit with tie
• Sports coat
• Long-sleeve button-down shirt with a collar and long pants
• Wear a belt or suspenders to keep up your pants
Women:
• A nice dress or woman's business suit
• A conservative pants suit
• Conservative top and long slacks
Jewelry – less is more – remove all piercing
(If you claim you have no money, then wearing lots of jewelry is unwise) Nails – neat and clean. Neutral nail polish.
Shoes – closed toe & conservative.
Hair – Schedule a haircut 2 weeks before the court appearance. Look neatly groomed. If long, tie it back. No hairnets, rollers or combs.
Hygiene
• Brush your teeth & use mouthwash.
• Men – shave before court & trim your mustache/beard.
• Women – wear very conservative make-up.
• Use soap & water liberally before coming to court .
• Deodorant – you will be nervous so be prepared.
• If you perspire a lot, bring a handkerchief or whatever to look "cool and confident".
Cover tattoos

http://www.allgoodlawyers.com/guestbookview.asp?key=137

AJ, I'm not seeing where the identity theft comes in?

This doesn't sound like a mistake - it just sounds like someone owes child support arrears and the system finally caught up with him/her.

(Am I missing something?)

You need to file for disability ASAP. Your arrears will continue to pile up. You cannot go unemployed and not support your kids. Getting approved though for disability can be a long process.

AJ, I'm not seeing where the identity theft comes in?

This doesn't sound like a mistake - it just sounds like someone owes child support arrears and the system finally caught up with him/her.

(Am I missing something?)

Maybe I missed something?

I thought the OP was saying that the record would show income for her/him.

The OP alleges no income for the last three years due to incapacitation.

I missed the child support issues.

Maybe I missed something?

I thought the OP was saying that the record would show income for her/him.

The OP alleges no income for the last three years due to incapacitation.

I missed the child support issues.

Yep, I'm thinking that OP has been unemployed, but didn't file in court to modify the child support order, and now has a bunch of arrears building up and the State/CSE has gotten involved to enforce the CS order.

OP also needs to perhaps file to modify the existing order, and/or file (as Duranie suggested) for SSI/SSDI.

even if the records show no income the fact that there was nothing done for three years as far as a filing for modification or trying to get ssi I wouldn't think the courts would like that very much. I know I've seen friends that have gotten back on support even a couple months and the courts have threatened to put them in jail if they didn't pay half of the arrers. Three years of not paying your child support. If I had to give some advice here try to file modification, try to get ssi, and try to get some money around. I don't know if they're really going to take it easy on someone that had three years to do something about this. I dunno. good luck.

also you can get medication for bipolar disorder and anxiety attacks. If you can't afford medical attention apply for assistance. Those are treatable problems. They're no excuse for not supporting your child for three years.

Also when you said "I do sometimes think that I might be better off in jail where my fiance won't have to support me anymore" I do have advice for that. Two options here. You might want to seek a therapist to talk to about regaining your self-asteam. Also if you're unhappy with the fact that your fiance is supporting you maybe you should support yourself? A job maybe? If you've been feeling that bad about where you're at financially you should have done something about it a long time ago as far a filing the proper paper work or looking into ssi if your problems are that serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back