Husband left, I moved, Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_aulich

I have an oddly unique situation.
My husband and I were married July 28th, 2010. On or about October 25th of the same year, he left in the middle of the night during an argument. It was only verbal, no domestic violence and no police were involved. I was unable to contact him for 3 days. He took my debit card to the joint account we had with him, and essentially left me with nothing. I stayed with a friend for a few days. This occured in Adrian, MI where we were living at the time, though I will add that we were married in Lewiston, ME. He gave me no money, and I really did not at the time posess the means to support myself. When, after a 72 hour period, he did contact me, he said he would be filing for divorce. I agreed that I would sign the papers uncontested, and on November 7th, I flew back to New Hampshire where I had resided previously before we were married. I flew back on an emergency flight so that I could move in with my mother. We have spoken once since I moved back, he said he was filing papers, as of yet he has not. I have since stabilized myself and have a new life that I wish to continue without this burden. Though I do believe that he owes me something for the situation, I also know that filing for alimony or trying to take anything from him would make the proceedings longer. He recently was reported and investigated for unemployment insurance fraud, the outcome of said investigation I do not know. I would like to know what I need to do to get the uncontested divorce going, and since I live nowhere near where we resided, I really am lost. I would also be curious to know if and what I may be able to gain from him, because I do believe that I am owed something, as he was the sole provider for us and left me with nothing, but first and foremost I really just want this to be over with. If an uncontested divorce is the way to go, then I am willing to let personal gain go, especially as I am very sure that financially I am far better off than he is. I would also like to add that I am 19 years old, and am just looking to get on with my life, because there is so much left to live. I will also add that we are both Army National Guard on drilling status, he is an E-5 (SGT), and I am an E-2 (PVT), and Im also concerned about what he may be able to do to my career.
Regards.

Well, you do have some issues.

You could speak with your chain of command about this.
That may be useless, as you're his wife.

You may think he owes you something, but you weren't married long enough to have earned anything. So, dismiss that belief.

Lastly, I'll address your divorce query.
Your biggest problem in obtaining a divorce will be serving him.
If you're unable to serve him, you'll have to publish notification to him.
I can't explain all of that to you on this forum.
However, you can start your divorce action in your current state of residence.

The fact that he's on active duty (if he still is) can complicate matters and further slow them down.

I suggest you speak with an attorney or two in your hometown. The initial consult is free.

You can also Google "do it yourself divorce in New Hampshire" for information on how you could try to do the divorce without using an attorney.

Everything else in your post is of no importance in this matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back