How to become legal guardian of a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwolf

My jurisdiction is: Virginia

I am getting married soon to a woman who has a 14 year old daughter. The father of the daughter is deceased. When I get married I want to be established as her legal guardian and eventually adopt. I am trying to find out what is involved in establishing legal guardianship as a step-father and if I need an attorney or if this is something I can do myself that just involves paperwork.

youre not dad

I am getting married soon to a woman who has a 14 year old daughter. The father of the daughter is deceased. When I get married I want to be established as her legal guardian and eventually adopt. I am trying to find out what is involved in establishing legal guardianship as a step-father and if I need an attorney or if this is something I can do myself that just involves paperwork.

untill you adopt, you have no rights to your fiancee's daughter. you are a legal stranger. and your soon to be stepdaughter doesnt decide untill shes 18 whom she lives with.

Stepparents have certain rights conferred upon them via their marruage to the child's legal guardian or parent.

The rights vary from state to state.

They usually involve the right to make certain emergency health care decisions, school decisions, and support.

This website is support network and blog for stepfather rights.
You can inquire specifically of them.

http://framedfathers.blogspot.com/2009/01/custody-awarded-to-stepfather.html

First, please ignore Lonelyinny.

Second, you'd be best advised getting an attorney once you're married - even though Dad has passed away, a step-parent adoption shouldn't really be a DIY project.

Standby guardianship or conservatorship is less complicated and easier to accomplish and that's where Mom may want to start. It's still worth at least an initial consult with an attorney who can guide you further.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back