Hiring mngr fired on my start date. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abottiglio

I am 18 and live in MA. I recently applied for a job at a local Sears, and got it. However, the next day Dunkin donuts called with a better offer for Full-time so I accepted.

My new employer Joe gave me my official hat, and pin, and had me sign all of my legal forms and company paper work and blah blah blah. He tells me to come in today at 10:00 AM. I show up at 9:45, and when I ask for Joe the guy at the counter says "Things have changed." I asked what that meant and he said they'd have to call me back. Each employee behind the counter was staring at me, I was very confused. So, I sat outside in the parking lot and figured I'd wait for Joe and see what was up. Then, an employee came out to dump some trash. I asked where Joe was and he replied, "They fired him this morning, I don't know why."

It hit me like a bucket of cold water. I had been looking for a job forever. FINALLY 2 jobs land in my lap, and I get rid of one to take the other, only for the other to shovel shit in my face.

This Dunks is celebrating its Grand Opening a short walk from my house. What are the chances they fire this guy on the day I'm supposed to get my schedule?? I need a job to pay for a car so that I can go back to school in the fall. I'm very upset and I want to know what ACTION I can take. PLEASE HELP ME.

well, first things first, talk to the management (not to a lowly guy on the bottom, talk to his boss). Try to find out what is going on.

I agree with NYClex. If your new boss was fired then you may need to speak to someone else in the store and tell him what happened. The timing is unfortunate.

Originally posted by abottiglio
I am 18 and live in MA. I recently applied for a job at a local Sears, and got it. However, the next day Dunkin donuts called with a better offer for Full-time so I accepted.

My new employer Joe gave me my official hat, and pin, and had me sign all of my legal forms and company paper work and blah blah blah. He tells me to come in today at 10:00 AM. I show up at 9:45, and when I ask for Joe the guy at the counter says "Things have changed." I asked what that meant and he said they'd have to call me back. Each employee behind the counter was staring at me, I was very confused. So, I sat outside in the parking lot and figured I'd wait for Joe and see what was up. Then, an employee came out to dump some trash. I asked where Joe was and he replied, "They fired him this morning, I don't know why."

It hit me like a bucket of cold water. I had been looking for a job forever. FINALLY 2 jobs land in my lap, and I get rid of one to take the other, only for the other to shovel shit in my face.

This Dunks is celebrating its Grand Opening a short walk from my house. What are the chances they fire this guy on the day I'm supposed to get my schedule?? I need a job to pay for a car so that I can go back to school in the fall. I'm very upset and I want to know what ACTION I can take. PLEASE HELP ME.

In the meantime, contact Sears and find out if the job they offered you is still available. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back