Having my life threatened by an employees armed boyfriend

Jace

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
This morning a man with a gun in his belt came to my store while I was cleaning the parking lot. His girlfriend is one of my employees. He grabbed at his gun and said if I ever disrespected his wife or kids again I was dead and that he doesn't play.

Told the police, they said they would keep an eye out for the guy which means absolutely nothing. My general manager said that this is the kind of stuff we have to be ready to deal with in our job but I have never had an armed person threaten my life in the four years I have worked for our company.

Now I am worried about losing my life over a convenience store job but I am dependent on my benefits so I can not just quit until I find another job.

Is there anything other action I can take? Having the police looking around isn't going to be any help if this guy comes back and shoots me.

Thank you for your time.

I understand your fear. You may wish to consider filing for a restraining order of some time, but even that is worthless if the guy is determined to harm you. I suggest that you look hard for a new job...also, if there is a true danger to your life, then what do the benefits matter?

I understand your fear. You may wish to consider filing for a restraining order of some time, but even that is worthless if the guy is determined to harm you. I suggest that you look hard for a new job...also, if there is a true danger to your life, then what do the benefits matter?
That is a valid point but I was paying more than $700 a month for my medication before I had insurance so I have to stay for at least a few more weeks.

That is a valid point but I was paying more than $700 a month for my medication before I had insurance so I have to stay for at least a few more weeks.
I mentioned above about a restraining order, but please keep in mind that this could be like pouring gas on the fire. It's probably wisest to do your best to get out of the situation ASAP.

Is there anything other action I can take?

Get a permit and buy your own gun. Carry it concealed and don't tell anybody about it.

Yes, MA is strict about all that, but it's not impossible.

You could also report him to the state's gun licensing agency.

Get a permit and buy your own gun. Carry it concealed and don't tell anybody about it.

Yes, MA is strict about all that, but it's not impossible.

You could also report him to the state's gun licensing agency.

That is an option, but in this circumstance, it's not likely to help much. Besides, the OP needs a few weeks...I doubt the process of obtaining a gun and a CCP would be complete in that time. The OP would be better served by focusing on finding a new job ASAP.

Maybe find a new job and make your start date a few weeks hence? You'll still be a bit of a sitting duck for a bit, but have an option ASAP?

This morning a man with a gun in his belt came to my store

"My store" -- meaning a store that you own? Or are you just an employee?

He grabbed at his gun and said if I ever disrespected his wife or kids again I was dead and that he doesn't play.

In what ways have you "disrespected his wife or kids"?

Is there anything other action I can take?

Well...for starters, don't "disrespect[] his wife or kids." You can also seek a restraining order. However...

You may wish to consider filing for a restraining order of some time, but even that is worthless if the guy is determined to harm you.

and...

I mentioned above about a restraining order, but please keep in mind that this could be like pouring gas on the fire.

Agree.

His girlfriend is one of my employees. He grabbed at his gun and said if I ever disrespected his wife or kids again I was dead and that he doesn't play.

If Homie don't play that, make sure you don't do that.

Back