Getting hired then denied after find out I have a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvog87

Back in October I interviewed for a job with a couple of my friends for a sales position. Interview went well, they even told my two friends that work there that I interviewed well. The VP and one of the managers both told me that they liked me and "welcome aboard". The manager then tells me to fill out some paperwork and that I had to wait until that following Monday (this was a Friday) for my background check before we could start figuring out a training schedule. He did not call. I called a few times during the week and he never returned my call. Two weeks pass by and I still cannot get a hold of either the manager or the vice president. I find out from the two girls I knew that worked there that they decided they changed their minds because they found out I have a baby. If I could get proof that was the reason they did not hire me could I sue for discrimination?

An employer doesn't need to provide you with a reason for not hiring you. You'll never prove anything that smacks if discrimination, unless you're a member of a protected class (certain minorities, certain disabled people, and senior citizens).

Parental status is not a protected characterization in Texas (or in most states) so proving you did not get the job because you have a baby is only the first step. You would then have to prove that if you were male/female (you don't state which you are - if you were the other one) you would have gotten the job anyway.

If you could prove BOTH those things, then you could file a claim for gender discrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back