General Chat thread. Also can someone under age 21 legally go into a bar in a needed emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1: If the owner of the copyrighted music authorizes the music be in the video?

#2: If the owner of the copyrighted music is the one who uploaded the video with the copyrighted music?

#3: If the copyright owner did not permission the copyrighted song in the YouTube video?

Thank you all in advance.

Is playing copyrighted music on YouTube from a smartphone legal?

Thank you all in advance.

Yes, one can stream/play such content on a laptop and/or tablet, too.

If one has the capability, one can even stream the video and play it on her/his/their smart TV.

That said, "Stream away, your listener, stream away."

Caveat, as you will soon discover (should you choose to read the commentary below), the issue is unsettled, in that law appears to be somewhat unsettled on the matter.

That said, YouTube undertakes the burden of removing suspect media.

You also might wish to research "fair use".

Read what these legal experts have to say on the matter, mate.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/legality-of-watching-youtube-videos-1153173.html

The question here is whether the person who had permission to use the song in the video also has the right to distribute the video via YouTube. If the answer is no, then the person who made the video and uploaded it is violating the copyright, and those downloading the song to watch it might also be violating the copyright as well.

#2: If the owner of the copyrighted music is the one who uploaded the video with the copyrighted music?

In this case the copyright holder has apparently given his/her consent for the work to be in the video and consented to it being distributed via YouTube. Thus, any YouTube user could watch the video/listen to it without violating the copyright whether on a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Any use beyond simply watching the video on YouTube might violate the copyright, however.

#3: If the copyright owner did not permission the copyrighted song in the YouTube video?

That is clearly a problem for the person who uploaded it and may also be a problem for those who then download it and view it on YouTube.

If the answer is no, then the person who made the video and uploaded it is violating the copyright, and those downloading the song to watch it might also be violating the copyright as well.

Those watching the video in a non-commercial setting have no exposure to copyright infringement if the work was for private viewing. It would be infringement should it be used to make a derivative work or the watcher distributed the video to others..

There are two parts to copyright law in this situation. The first is the copyright itself by both the author of the music and the copyright of the lyrics if not the same author. The second part is what is called a synchronization license.

A synchronization license is an agreement between a music user and the owner of a copyrighted composition (song), that grants permission to release the song in a video format (YouTube, DVDs, Blue-ray discs). This permission is also called synchronization rights, synch rights, and sync rights.

Although the Copyright Act does not refer explicitly to a synchronization right, it is generally understood to be an aspect of music owners' reproduction and/or derivative work rights.

Peloton (last year) was sued for $150 million because they did not get sync licenses for the music their instructors used in the online workouts even though they had copyright licenses to use some of the music. The case is ongoing and easily found online. A counter-claim by Peloton was dismissed this week and now they will have to try the case for infringement.

https://www.copyright.gov/policy/musiclicensingstudy/copyright-and-the-music-marketplace.pdf

Those watching the video in a non-commercial setting have no exposure to copyright infringement if the work was for private viewing. It would be infringement should it be used to make a derivative work or the watcher distributed the video to others.
By the same logic, as long as someone only used the stolen television (that they bought for $20 from the guy on the corner) in their own home for personal use, there would be no problem with possession of stolen property either.

YouTube manipulates (some might use other terms) a variety of copyright issues. As pointed out, there's the base issue of copying the original composition and musical performance. As already pointed out, if you're going to set a visual (video or live performance) to it, you need synchronization rights. To play it as part of a public performance (whether it be a website, on conventional radio/TV, or in a live venue) requires performance rights.

YouTube uses a forked approach (I got this from their VP at a lecture). There's tons of stuff being uploaded all the time. Most is automatically screened. First there are some rights holders who have entered into agreements with YouTube. Ever see someone's home movie with a commercial song as a soundtrack and see a popup to buy the song? Others are outright rejected because they contain material known to be infringing. YouTube has also negotiated rights with the major PROs on straight performance rights. You'll note that YouTube makes it extremely difficult to save the stuff that you find there. This is intentional.

Their last line of defense is to have an agressive OCILLA pull of anything reported as infringing.

As for the original poster. Unless YOU were the one involved in uploading the music or you are using it in a way other than for your personal viewing (i.e., playing it as music on hold, or as background music in a public establishment, etc...), you're not going to have problems. As far as uploading copyright material, usually the worse thing that happens is that it disappears from YouTube without warning. If you persist, they'll block you from further use.

By the same logic, as long as someone only used the stolen television (that they bought for $20 from the guy on the corner) in their own home for personal use, there would be no problem with possession of stolen property either.

That is correct. However, the buyer of that television show is not the person who is pirating it and is not the infringer.

Bad analogy. While I'd sort of agree with it if you were talking about people making copies for personal use, just viewing them on YouTube would be more in line with people being held liable for watching network TV when the station aired an infringing program.

Is playing copyrighted music on YouTube from a smartphone legal . . . If the owner of the copyrighted music authorizes the music be in the video?

If the video on YT is authorized, then you can legally play it from any device that can access YT (unless you're further transmitting the playback or using the playback in a public performance).

Your second question is not appreciably different from the first, and the answer to the third should be rather obvious.

My guess is that your post intentionally omits important facts.

Like for example if a friendly seven year old girl witnesses me having anaphylactic shock (a life threatening allergic reaction) to Diet Ruby Red Squirt and the only phone she can get to quickly enough to call 911 to get me proper treatment is in a bar where they serve alcohol can that seven year old girl legally go into the bar in this case to use the phone to call 911 for me?

Also the general chat part of this thread is because I did not see a place on this message board for general chat (video games, Diet Pepsi, NFL [National Football League], etc.) so I decided to make a general chat place here in this thread.

Like for example if a friendly seven year old girl witnesses me having anaphylactic shock (a life threatening allergic reaction) to Diet Ruby Red Squirt and the only phone she can get to quickly enough to call 911 to get me proper treatment is in a bar where they serve alcohol can that seven year old girl legally go into the bar in this case to use the phone to call 911 for me?

Also the general chat part of this thread is because I did not see a place on this message board for general chat (video games, Diet Pepsi, NFL [National Football League], etc.) so I decided to make a general chat place here in this thread.
Is this the same 7 year old girl you were alleging you were allowed to punch 7x if she hit you first? If so, she would likely leave you to die. If it is another 7 year old girl (why do you have n obsession with 7 year olds?) who isn't upset with you because you hit her 7x...then yes. It would be legal for her to go into the bar and tell an adult that you are in distress.

Yes. It would be legal for a friendly seven year old to go into a bar where they serve alcohol in order to call 911 in an emergency.

I did not see a place on this message board for general chat (video games, Diet Pepsi, NFL [National Football League], etc.) so I decided to make a general chat place here in this thread.

That is because this is not a forum for general chat about video games, Diet Pepsi, the National Football League, or anything else. This is a forum for general legal information. If it doesn't have some relationship to the law, it does not belong here.

For future reference, MHL, we do have a General Chat Forum here. Under its banner it says: "Social banter, current issues, the news, politics, TV, sports, law shows on TV. Mostly non-legal issues, not about cases but about conversation."

That pretty much covers discussions about video games, Diet Pepsi, NFL, etc, and you've been in it before so don't play like you don't know what it's there for.

This forum "Other Legal Issues" is for legal questions (like a 7 years old in a bar) that don't necessarily fit in any of the other legal topics but it is NOT for General Chat.

Study the forum headings before you post a question. Each forum heading has a detailed explanation, when you click on it, as to the appropriate subject matter.

Think carefully about where you put your questions.

upload_2020-8-16_15-15-46.png

And closing the thread since your question has been answered.

If at a business I slip on water and break my back can the business be shut down as far as the law says?
Probably not, based only on what you have posted.

If you have actually slipped on water and broken your back, then best course of action would be to head to the emergency room. At some point you would want to consult with an attorney.

(Post Hx)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back