General Chat thread. Also can someone under age 21 legally go into a bar in a needed emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your question prompted me to ask you one, OP.
When would a driver ever be justified in hitting YOU, even if the driver hit you and stopped at the scene?

Your question prompted me to ask you one, OP.
When would a driver ever be justified in hitting YOU, even if the driver hit you and stopped at the scene?
Perhaps if op unjustifiably hit the driver and the driver had to stun the OP? or had been caught intruding in the drivers home? :p

Note that hit and run doesn't mean anything to you. The driver may or may not be prosecuted. You have no right to have someone prosecuted, crimes are not victim vs. defendant but rather society as a whole (as represented by the state) vs. the defendant.

As far a civil action goes, whether you could recover anything depends on the intentional acts or negligence by both parties. The fact that he left the scene doesn't much matter.

You need to have permission from the copyright holder of the song to use it in your game. Otherwise you are infringing on their work and can be sued for that. The fact that your game is distributed for free would not allow you to use their song without consent.

There's likely multiple copyrights in play here. The OP would need permission from the owner of the musical composition copyright and, separately, the owner of the sound recording copyright. The song in question was written by two individuals, but it's not likely that they still own the musical composition copyright. I did a quick search at copyright.gov, but there are too many registrations under the song's name to tell who owns the copyrights.

As for the sound recording copyright, since the OP is concerned with a midi file, whoever created that file might own that copyright. However, that would only be the case if the midi file was created with permission of the owner(s) of the sound recording copyright. If it was created with permission then the TOS at the site where the OP wants to obtain the midi file might be relevant.

I am asking and live in the state of Utah and my question is can someone legally download, upload etc. a BIOS file of any video game system that is neither being made anymore by the company nor sold anymore by the company?

For example PlayStation is no longer making any more PlayStation 3 nor PlayStation 2 nor PlayStation 1 which is simply called PlayStation, so can a person legally upload, download etc. a PlayStation BIOS or PlayStation 2 BIOS or PlayStation 3 BIOS?

Thank you all in advance and my name is Jason

I am asking and live in the state of Utah and my question is can someone legally download, upload etc. a BIOS file of any video game system that is neither being made anymore by the company nor sold anymore by the company?

Not without the permission of the company that holds the copyright in the software. If you don't have permission then you are infringing on the copyright.

can someone legally download, upload etc. a BIOS file of any video game system that is neither being made anymore by the company nor sold anymore by the company?

Yes, it can be done legally.

It is also done illegally, as there are any number of websites that allow their patrons to download what you asked about and more, often for FREE!

Seek and ye shall find, brethren.

For example PlayStation is no longer making any more PlayStation 3 nor PlayStation 2 nor PlayStation 1 which is simply called PlayStation, so can a person legally upload, download etc. a PlayStation BIOS or PlayStation 2 BIOS or PlayStation 3 BIOS?

If you own one of those games and the BIOS is available I think you would be OK.

If you don't own them, why would you want the BIOS?

I don't think so. Owning the game does not give the owner any rights to the BIOS of the machine the game ran on.

My old computer has a BIOS. If there's an update on HP's website I could download it, along with any updated driver's.

That's what I was thinking.

Same or not same?

My old computer has a BIOS. If there's an update on HP's website I could download it, along with any updated driver's.

Same or not same?
Not the same. OP wants to download a file to run an emulator of the system in question. It's apples and oranges (or, Sonys & Nintendos, if you will).

Same or not same?

You can download it because HP licenses you to download it.

The BIOS is still copyright protected.

The BIOS isn't the game itself it is the operating system of the console and I'd be willing to bet that the people wanting to emulate them don't have and maybe never had the original machine.

Same or not same?

Not the same. You have a license for that BIOS that came with the machine. That allows you to keep that one copy of the BIOS and update it.

What the OP is wants to do is upload or download a BIOS for a machine that he does not have and that is not sold anymore so that he can run software (presumably games) on some other machine to emulate the system that the software ran on. That would allow him to run that old software (again likely games) on that other machine. That is not allowed by the licenses for console game systems or the operating systems of any major PC maker that I am aware of.

What the OP is wants to do is upload or download a BIOS for a machine that he does not have and that is not sold anymore so that he can run software (presumably games) on some other machine to emulate the system that the software ran on. That would allow him to run that old software (again likely games) on that other machine. That is not allowed by the licenses for console game systems or the operating systems of any major PC maker that I am aware of.

Ah, OK, wasn't quite seeing that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back