First name on Drivers license and SS card don't match.

Jerzygirl

Hello,

My drivers license has my given first name and my ss card has a shorter version of my first name that my family called me by,my parents got my SS card for me at the age of 7 in New Jersey to set up a bank account to settle a dog mauling claim, I am now 52 living in Florida and my new employer is doing my I-9 form, the employer has been sitting on this for a month and suddenly as of last week this is now an issue they want fixed immediately, but with the long work hours it is not something I can get done tomorrow. If they would have asked this over 3 wks ago while I was not working would have had more time to take care of it. They are now telling me they may have to take me off the work schedule , like this is my fault...

This is the first time a new employer has ever told me to change my SS card to match my drivers license. Do I have to change it so it matches? and if I do what do I take to SS office? My last name is not my maiden name it is my married name I kept after my Divorce.

Also I am a per diem employee working 49+ hours a wk does this employer have to pay me over time in this state?

Last edited:
It might be easier and quicker to change the DL to match the SS card.

If you don't get the names synced as required by your employer's request, the overtime and regular time might become a moot point.

If necessary, take a day off to try and fix the name issue. Good luck.

I agree. I do not live in Florida but it seems that the simplest solution would be to tell HR that you need paid time off to go to the local Driver's License office to get a new license that matches your SS card. Paid time off may be available since they are requiring you to do it for work purposes. Check with the laws in your state.

Paid time off is never required to take care of these sorts of personal matters. The employer is correct to insist they match. The government has been scrutinizing employers more in the past few years so it is a concern.

Sorry you live in Florida

Many other states, including Colorado, require employers to give 2 personal days a year to employees for employers with more than 50 employees. So, sorry you live in Florida.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/your-right-time-off-work-colorado.html

I see no where that Colorado law requires time off (& certainly not paid time off as you noted in your 1st post) for a personal reason such as the original poster would need off for. I don't know of any state including OP's state of Fl. that has a law that requires time off/paid time off for a personal matter such as the OP has.

Some states do have laws that require time off for such things as domestic violence, school activities, voting etc. (depends on state what is available) but not such matters has OP has. What Co. offers is in link above.

Here is a link on the Fl. laws: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/your-right-time-off-work-florida.html

Back