Fired because of app??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPGlover

Hello all!!

I was employed at this hotel since February 2010-June 2010...When I got hired there was no background check. A new management company came in May 2010 requiring us to fill out new hire paperwork. In the box where it states were you convicted of a misdemeanor...I checked no..but apparently my background came back...My sealed papers were filed on March 17,2010 from the county and May 11,2010 by the state..the same day I filled out the new hire paperwork...I provided the company with my sealed paperwork and I was given the runaround.The company pushed me to tell them what happened with my case and I was reluctant at first but told them the entire story..A day later,the GM said I lied on my app but I hadn't to my knowledge!! I have I was "suspended" and have yet to hear from them regarding my status of employment after numerous contact attempts..Is this right/legal?? Do I have a case? Thank you in advance!!

Hello all!!

I was employed at this hotel since February 2010-June 2010...When I got hired there was no background check. A new management company came in May 2010 requiring us to fill out new hire paperwork. In the box where it states were you convicted of a misdemeanor...I checked no..but apparently my background came back...My sealed papers were filed on March 17,2010 from the county and May 11,2010 by the state..the same day I filled out the new hire paperwork...I provided the company with my sealed paperwork and I was given the runaround.The company pushed me to tell them what happened with my case and I was reluctant at first but told them the entire story..A day later,the GM said I lied on my app but I hadn't to my knowledge!! I have I was "suspended" and have yet to hear from them regarding my status of employment after numerous contact attempts..Is this right/legal?? Do I have a case? Thank you in advance!!

I think they want you to go away.
They don't want to fire you.
You might be wise to look for other jobs.
You could file for unemployment and see what the employer's response is.

Can you do anything?
Sure, have you got about $20,000 to hire a labor rights lawyer?
Would you win?
Who knows?
Miracles happen everyday.

Your best bet is to obtain new employment.
Maybe your next employer won't hold those misdemeanor theft, drug, or "whatever" charges against you?

I have unemployment already and I can easily get a job because I don't have a record anymore...Not quite the answer I was looking for but Thanks anyway!

In the state of Illinois you can get your record sealed meaning you don't have to disclose criminal information to employers/creditors and it wouldn't come up in court or court records...The FBI will probably still have my record....I want to know if I have a case to sue the company or the state for wrongful termination....Given the fact I didn't lie on my application and when they gained knowledge of my record it became a problem.

If you think you can get another job "easily", you obviously haven't been reading the newspapers or listened to the news in the past two years.

Didn't need your input on that thank you very much but I read the news every day...I was bartending sweetheart and I just recently finished my computer tech degree...I didn't come on this website for anything but advice on the subject I blogged about.....

You said you were suspended.
Now you're collecting unemployment.
No, you have no case that you can win.
But, you and anyone else that wants to sue, has the right to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's why they are correct in the saying you lied on the app - you checked no, but then immediately told them you were convicted of something, but didn't want to go into details. So from that standpoint, by checking no on your app you lied on the app. So because of that you would have no case.

Considering you case was a misdemeanor it sounds like they were just looking for a reason to get rid of people, but if they are saying they fired you for lying on your app, then that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back