Fire employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesher

One of my employees who's just working for me one week at restaurant and paid by hours is not loyalty due to I suspect the employee stole $50 yesterday. Now, I want to fire the employee. What am I supposed to do without against the California labor law? Please advise... thanks!

You don't need to tell the employee the reason why you are firing. Just let him know that he is no longer needed and provide unemployment info as mentioned.

One of my employees who's just working for me one week at restaurant and paid by hours is not loyalty due to I suspect the employee stole $50 yesterday. Now, I want to fire the employee. What am I supposed to do without against the California labor law? Please advise... thanks!

Why don't you ask the employee in your office and find out if he stole the money. You could be wrong. Firing an employee for suspicion of theft is lame.

If he did not do it I certainly hope not. If he did do it then the manger will have to probe. Part of being a good manger is understanding people and interacting. You either have or you don't, if you don't you probably wont last long as a manger. In a cash and carry operation like a restaurant or convince store you go firing an employee every time there is a shortage you wont have any employees left. Managers that take the attitude fire for suspicion tend to join the ranks of the homeless themselves after a short period.

What the OP needs to tell us is why he suspects this employee? What evidence is there this employee might be guilty party if there is a guilty party. Firing someone for "suspected" theft would not likely be illegal but its not good practice either

Well he don't have to tell us but he certainly should go over it with the employee if he intends to fire him. Thats the right thing to do, could be an oversight. A server could easily pocket cash believing its part of their tips. They employer could fire the guy for that if he feels it appropriate, its better than firing someone for suspected theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back