Failing to verify employment?

O

OliverTheSecond

Can I sue a former employer for failing to verify past employment? My future job is unable to verify previous employment with this company. I did not leave on bad terms and my future job is for a 2 year contract. I have been offered the job pending my past employment being verified.

Can I sue a former employer for failing to verify past employment? My future job is unable to verify previous employment with this company. I did not leave on bad terms and my future job is for a 2 year contract. I have been offered the job pending my past employment being verified.

You, as do we all, have the right to sue anyone, for anything, using any court you choose, assuming you're above the age of majority, pay the required filing fee (or assert your indigency), complete the necessary forms, serve the defendant, and you are another plaintiff somewhere.

To prevail however, you must have damages and prove them.

Once you've done that, get a judge to agree, you'll receive a judgment.

Finally, almost, you'll have about a 5% chance of ever collecting a dollar.

Good luck, mate.

Hint: No person can make another person do a damn thing, say for example, respond to a request to verify former employment.

You must have burned a few bridges, maybe even a few villages, mate.

I am not aware of any requirement in law that a company must verify past employment. Talk to your prospective employer and ask if there is anything else they will accept to show you did in fact work there. (W2, pay stubs, etc.)

Didn't you keep your own records of your employment?

How about your income tax returns and W-2s? Pay stubs? Did you keep those?

There are a few exceptions which would require verification, specifically in transportation and a few other fields, but by and large, verification of employment is not required. Some employers will not disclose without a release from the ex-employee. I find that silly but you might check with your former employer to see what is required if anything.

Can you give them the name of a specific person in HR, a supervisor or a manager who can be contacted to verify your employment?

Back