F(16) Trying to get emancipated... Please help!!!

a girl

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
Hey there.

This is my first post on any kind of forum so I'm not sure exactly how this works. Either way, I need help, please.

My family and I have a very, very strained relationship. My dad used to hit me a lot (leaving bruises, welts, etc.) and social services were called multiple times. Nothing really happened except my dad had to take anger management classes. He gradually became better and better (going from physical abuse, to mental abuse, and then trying to "atone"). Sadly, by the time I was around 13 I was already beginning to abuse substances as a way to cope. I've been cited for underage possession and running away (multiple times each). As of today, January 6, 2024, I have four upcoming court appearances: one running away, three underage possession (2 times for nicotine, 1 time for nicotine and marijuana (under a ounce so a citation).

As of now, I have planned everything out. I have a job lined up, a place to rent (I plan to rent out a room in my friend's house), an in-depth finance plan, and decent grades. However, my parents refuse to allow me to accept the job and actually move out, which is what I believe is required before emancipation. It's frustrating because I know for a fact I can support myself, my parents just won't let me.

I hope this was a good enough explanation of my situation. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to be emancipated even with a record?

2. Do I need to actively be out of the house and working at the time I submit my petition or can I do those things after being emancipated? I ask this because after emancipation, my parents have no say in whether I get a job or move out.

3. Can my parents refuse to tell me my SSN? Or at least the last four digits so I can get a certification of age (for a job).

I'll update if I think of anymore questions!! Any replies discouraging me from being emancipated/telling me I'm stupid/generally unhelpful will be ignored :)

Last edited:
1. Is it possible to be emancipated even with a record? No.

2. Do I need to actively be out of the house and working at the time I submit my petition or can I do those things after being emancipated? I ask this because after emancipation, my parents have no say in whether I get a job or move out. Yes.

3. Can my parents refuse to tell me my SSN? Or at least the last four digits so I can get a certification of age (for a job). Yes.

No teen has or will be emancipated on the basis of what they will do if their petition is approved. #2 right there is enough to kill your plan.

Girl, you have left out the most important piece of information - your exact age.

Years and months please.

Though I assume (subject to you verifying) that you are over sixteen since you mention "petition." Hawaii has recently revised Statute 577-25 to allow a minor to petition the court for emancipation.

Section 577-25 - Emancipation of certain minors, Haw. Rev. Stat. § 577-25 | Casetext Search + Citator

Unfortunately, court emancipation is based on what you are already doing not what you are going to do. In other words, living on your own and supporting yourself now.

If that's discouraging, well, the realities of life (especially adult life) are very often discouraging.

Read the statute.

The other disadvantage is that you have the juvenile offenses unresolved. I hope you have a lawyer for that.

As for your SS number, go to the SSA website and see if there is a way of recovering it.

my Social Security | SSA

If you can't do it online, go to your school's administration office and see if they will look it up for you. It should be in your school records.

If not, visit your local SSA office.

If none of that works, wait until your parents aren't home and look wherever they keep family records. Find your birth certificate, too, and take a photo of it with your phone.

Despite what you think you know about the term "emancipation," the statute is not an avenue to free minors from parental "enslavement." It is recognition that an already independent minor needs relief from certain laws (like entering into contracts) that are denied to her.

Back