ex not complying with divorce decree

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridarobin

i am in brevard county, florida.
my divorce was final approximately one year ago. in the divorce decree my ex was given one of the cars, which is financed in both of our names. she is responsible for refinancing, selling, or paying off in order to remove my name and relieve me of the financial responsibility for the car. to date she has not done so and it appears more and more likely that she cannot or will not.
how do i approach the court to have this decree enforced? what are they likely to do? and will i be open to any other action from her if i do re-enter the court system?

thank you.

File to show that she has not done what the court ordered and she will be held in contempt.

what does it mean, practically, for the ex to be held in contempt?

if i file to show the ex has not followed the divorce decree and she is found to be in contempt...
what does this mean for me, practically speaking? am i really closer to getting my name off of the car loan? if she's blown through all the divorce cash and has no job (oh yeah, she has job training, i paid for it about 3 times and she just got another certificate), what is the court's likely decision?

It's hard to say what will be decided. I'm not sure that the court can order your name removed from the loan, or that the loan holder would have to abide by such an order.

Not sure if this is even possible, but perhaps in your contempt motion you can ask that possession of the car and title be transferred to you so that you can sell it, especially if she hasn't paid for a year.

The lien holder will not remove your name. A divorce Decree is a civil obligation and the loan contract supersedes a civil issue. I agree w. Irish223 the court may require her to hand the car over so you can do what you need to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back