Ex-husband is not in compliance with our divorce decree

Over

During our marriage my Ex and I bought a lot in Colorado. In the decree it states that the lot is to be put on the market, sold and proceeds divided. It took me 3 years to get him to list it. But he refused to list it at a reasonable price. It's been on the market for 3 years because it's double the price to comparable lots in the subdivision. Is there anything I can do force him to reduce the price so it will sell? I live in NC, the lot is in Colorado, and the divorce was in AZ so going back to the court would be difficult. Having an attorney write him a letter didn't work. Me writing a letter didn't work. Can anything be done?

Well if going back to court isn't an option and your attorney really can't help you then the only thing I can think of is that you contact the realtor who has it listed and try to get the price lowered. You may still run into him refusing to accept offers.

During our marriage my Ex and I bought a lot in Colorado. In the decree it states that the lot is to be put on the market, sold and proceeds divided. It took me 3 years to get him to list it. But he refused to list it at a reasonable price. It's been on the market for 3 years because it's double the price to comparable lots in the subdivision. Is there anything I can do force him to reduce the price so it will sell? I live in NC, the lot is in Colorado, and the divorce was in AZ so going back to the court would be difficult. Having an attorney write him a letter didn't work. Me writing a letter didn't work. Can anything be done?

The solution was overlooked during the divorce.
When multiple parties own the same property, and one or more parties wants to sell, while other parties want to retain ownership; the solution is to petition the property.
That is to say, the court issues an order directing that the property be sold, and the profits divided equally among the owners.
Unfortunately when courts issue orders such as the one you describe, and parties disperse themselves across the country, the order issued by the presiding judge over the matter gets interpreted in many various and diverse ways, and no one can be held accountable.
I suggest you wait the recalcitrant, obstinate man-child out.
If that isn't an option, and you wish to pursue this matter, I'm afraid you'll have to retain an attorney to petition a Colorado court to petition the property and divide the proceeds.
You likely won't be required to travel to Colorado, and if you can find an eager, young attorney, you might get to pay him or her out of your share of the proceeds of the sale.
Otherwise, I would expect to be about $2,000 to $2,500 (give or take, maybe more take) out of pocket to get this done.

Back