Escrow Check Made out In both Names - want to split - Battered Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused122

My husband touched me for the last time. I am staying at a friends house now. I want a divorce.

My husband and I just sold our house, and I have the escrow check - it is made out in both of our names.

I would like to get the check signed and to split the check in half - my husband doesn't agree.

What do I need to do legally to find out what my rights are?
What documents do I need?
What kind of protection do I need?
I don't want to deal with my husband directly. He scares me.

I don't have any money - its all tied up in the check. He has a criminal record and knows shady people - can he do something that I am not aware of?

I called the bank that the check is written from and they will not give out any information stating that I need to contact the escrow company - I think something has happened - and I don't know what.

Any help/advise/feedback is greatly appreciated.

My husband touched me for the last time. I am staying at a friends house now. I want a divorce.

My husband and I just sold our house, and I have the escrow check - it is made out in both of our names.

I would like to get the check signed and to split the check in half - my husband doesn't agree.

What do I need to do legally to find out what my rights are?
What documents do I need?
What kind of protection do I need?
I don't want to deal with my husband directly. He scares me.

I don't have any money - its all tied up in the check. He has a criminal record and knows shady people - can he do something that I am not aware of?

I called the bank that the check is written from and they will not give out any information stating that I need to contact the escrow company - I think something has happened - and I don't know what.

Any help/advise/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Why haven't you contacted the escrow company?

If you maintain a joint checking account, you can deposit in the account without signatures.
You simply endorse the check, deposit only to account 12345 of within named payees.
Then you withdraw your half.
Easy as pie, unless a stop payment has been placed on the check at the request of the wife beater!!!

How much is this escrow check we are talking about? If he has the check I would contact the Escrow company and have them put a stop payment on the check. Then I would make a demand for all of the money from the escrow company. They are going to refuse and throw the money to the registry of the court. Then you go file for your half of the money from the court. The court will divide the money equitably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back