Employment Contract missing ability to voluntarily end employment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjetson

I have new employment contract that I'm reviewing. The term of the contract is essentially evergreen - with the contract renewing for successive annual terms unless either party opts out by providing 90-day notice before the anniversary date. The term is also subject to a number of termination clauses that enable termination during the "term":

- The company can terminate me for cause, with "cause" based on specific conditions
- The company can terminate me without "cause" by providing 60-days notice
- The company can terminate me for "death" or "disability"
- I can terminate the contract for "good reason" based on specified conditions

I'm fine with all the language and conditions tied to the above termination clauses. However, what is not specified is my ability to terminate employment voluntarily "other than for good reason"

My question: Without this language, if I wanted to leave voluntarily for some reason, am I precluded from doing that - other than by providing 90 days notice before my next contract term starts? Or... if this language is omitted, am I essentially able to terminate any time for any reason based on the fact that WA state is a right to work state?

Many Thanks,
Mark

I have new employment contract that I'm reviewing. The term of the contract is essentially evergreen - with the contract renewing for successive annual terms unless either party opts out by providing 90-day notice before the anniversary date. The term is also subject to a number of termination clauses that enable termination during the "term":

- The company can terminate me for cause, with "cause" based on specific conditions
- The company can terminate me without "cause" by providing 60-days notice
- The company can terminate me for "death" or "disability"
- I can terminate the contract for "good reason" based on specified conditions

I'm fine with all the language and conditions tied to the above termination clauses. However, what is not specified is my ability to terminate employment voluntarily "other than for good reason"

My question: Without this language, if I wanted to leave voluntarily for some reason, am I precluded from doing that - other than by providing 90 days notice before my next contract term starts? Or... if this language is omitted, am I essentially able to terminate any time for any reason based on the fact that WA state is a right to work state?

Many Thanks,
Mark

You might want to invest $500-1,000 to obtain a legal opinion from a lawyer in your county.

That said, based upon your post, the contract leaves much open to legal determination, probably by arbitration.

The phrase "good reason" lacks legal meaning, because who determines "good reason"?

That said, slavery was abolished 150 years ago, so you can quit anytime without "cause".

Would there be a penalty for such a termination?

Read the contract, if its silent, I don't think so.

But, this is free advice, and NOT a legal opinion.

Appreciate the response! The contract does specifically define what constitutes "good reason", but omits the case where I may want to terminate for reasons other than "good reason". The contract is also silent on any penalties associated with termination clauses.

Am interested on thoughts as to whether or not you think it would be better to have language inserted to specifically cover the "other than good reason" case vs. leaving it as is...

"Probably" but they might not want to change it. Your best bet any time a contract is involved is to talk to & have the contract reviewed by an employment or contract attorney.

You're certainly welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back