Employer video taped me without consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharona3

I am a co-owner/ general partner of a corporation in Oregon. I am going through a nast divorce with the other owner. This is causing him to act innapropriately, to say the least.

A few months ago, he came into the business and announced he was going to video tape the shop in order to make a video to sell the business. The three employees and I told him specifically that we did not want to be video-taped at all and to turn off the camera. One employee's 10 year old daughter was present. She told him NOT to video tape her minor child. He did so anyway.

Basically, it was a form of harrassment to intimidate us, however, that cannot be proved.

My question is this: Can the employer video tape his employees (and ex-wife) when we specifically tell him "no".

I am a co-owner/ general partner of a corporation in Oregon. I am going through a nast divorce with the other owner. This is causing him to act innapropriately, to say the least.

A few months ago, he came into the business and announced he was going to video tape the shop in order to make a video to sell the business. The three employees and I told him specifically that we did not want to be video-taped at all and to turn off the camera. One employee's 10 year old daughter was present. She told him NOT to video tape her minor child. He did so anyway.

Basically, it was a form of harrassment to intimidate us, however, that cannot be proved.

My question is this: Can the employer video tape his employees (and ex-wife) when we specifically tell him "no".

You shoudl inform your attorney about this "incident".

In fact, ALL of you SHOULD speak with your attorney about this "incident".

This may have crossed the line.

However, the law may not offer you the remedy you seek for this alleged indiscretion.

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. You were at your place of employment in the course of your regular work duties... you weren't in some private place with any expectation of privacy. This isn't much different than a place of business with security cameras rolling 24/7.
You are caught on video many times every day as you go to stores, through intersections, etc... it is when your reasonable expectation of privacy is violated that there is a problem... and what you describe is not a private matter, but a business matter.
When the announcement of the video was made, all you had to do was walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back