divorce/child custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampearce

i am 25 years old. my wife of two years and i are filing for divorce. she is planning on requesting primary custody. i love my child to death, how do i get to keep her. money is not an issue.:(

Hire a lawyer and file for custody yourself.

Don't allow someone else to use you as a piñata.

Fight back and show the court why you'd be a better custodial parent.

In the interim, deal only with her through your attorney.

Cut the ties now, otherwise she will make things up about you and tell lies.

Have no further contact with her.

Hire a lawyer, ASAP!!!

Why cant you 2 grow up and just get joint? I am sure you both love your daughter. Each of you cannot have full custody. Why not meet jhalfway and request joint? Who has been the primary caregiver here? If mom has stayed home then she might get more parenting time BUT you can still request joint legal with as much visitation as possible.

Please try to be civil here and see if you can work something out.

what kind of lawyer do i hire? i dont want this to get messy, and weve been to counseling before. but things just arent working. she has stayed at home with the child since she was born. i am the only working adult.

If Mom has been primary caregiver, chances are she'll get primary physical custody.

what kind of lawyer do i hire? i dont want this to get messy, and weve been to counseling before. but things just arent working. she has stayed at home with the child since she was born. i am the only working adult.

A good one.
A divorce lawyer.
Ask around among your friends, relatives, and acquaintances for ones they have used.
Don't worry about what she will do.
You stand as good a chance as she does to get custody.
Don't stand by and think that because you're a dad, you can't be a good parent.
You have every right to ask a court for custody, just as she does.

The parent who has been the primary caregiver - whether they own the Golden Uterus or the Sacred Testicles - is usually going to be the one retaining primary custody :)

Well as a married father you do have some rights but if mom has been the primary caregiver, there is almost no way you should get sole custody BUT you can request joint legal with visitation. Do not let mom try and fight for no overnights or supervised. Typically, one night during the week and EOW is normal and it still is possible for you to get this for an infant. Keep in mind that for a child this young, 50/50 usually is not done but as the child gets older, you can certainly put in for more visits.

You really should hire a family law attorney. See if you and mom can come to some sort of custody/visitation. You likely will be paying child support too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back