divorce certificate

S

sasha11

Jurisdiction
Africa
I was legally married in Kenya before I came to the United States. Two years later I had a fight with my husband and I was living alone for the last 6 years. My husband filed a divorce in Kenya without my knowledge 5 years ago and the court approved the divorce in my absence.

I was filling out the form to apply for US citizenship and I needed to attach my divorce certificate. The problem is that I can not go to Kenya to bring the divorce certificate because I had applied for asylum in the US. My EX husband is in the US and he has used his copy of his divorce certificate to apply for his green card. My question is: can I get a copy of the divorce certificate that my ex-husband had used to apply for his green card from USCIS file?

I was legally married in Kenya before I came to the United States. Two years later I had a fight with my husband and I was living alone for the last 6 years. My husband filed a divorce in Kenya without my knowledge 5 years ago and the court approved the divorce in my absence.

I was filling out the form to apply for US citizenship and I needed to attach my divorce certificate. The problem is that I can not go to Kenya to bring the divorce certificate because I had applied for asylum in the US. My EX husband is in the US and he has used his copy of his divorce certificate to apply for his green card. My question is: can I get a copy of the divorce certificate that my ex-husband had used to apply for his green card from USCIS file?

It might be easier to obtain a certified copy of the original decree from the government in Kenya.

If your former husband still has his copy, why not ask him if you can borrow it.

I suggest you ask UCSIS for guidance on options, and if an apostille will be required.

An apostille is a certification, which comes from French. Apostille certification is a result of a Hague Convention, a treaty between over 100 countries that allowed documents issued in one country to be accepted in another.

My former husband is not willing to give me a copy and I can't get it from the government of Kenya because I can't give a power of attorney to a person who would get a copy of the certificate on my behalf.

My former husband is not willing to give me a copy and I can't get it from the government of Kenya because I can't give a power of attorney to a person who would get a copy of the certificate on my behalf.

Why not write or visit the Kenyan embassy or consulate about obtaining a copy?

You might contact USCIS and ask what options you might pursue.

I have tried the Kenyan embassy but they have asked me a valid Kenyan ID and my Kenyan ID has already expired. Since I had claimed political asylum, the Kenyan embassy is not willing to help me.

I have tried the Kenyan embassy but they have asked me a valid Kenyan ID and my Kenyan ID has already expired. Since I had claimed political asylum, the Kenyan embassy is not willing to help me.

Then your only hope is to visit USCIS, call them, email them, ask for guidance.

Back