discussded

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused_wife

My Husband has worked for the city for over 30 years he was the forman!
Recently my husbands superviser demoted him wrongfully!
The city hired an employee and did not copy his Drivers License nor his Social sacurity card.
The superviser hired this man for one crew never asking for his license and then he transfer the employee to my husband's crew.
The superviser told my husband to send the other employee to operate a loader! when the county comissioners found out the superviser did not copy nor check the other employees Drivers license the superviser was wrote up! my husbands superviser got very upset he blamed it on my husband and then the superviser wrote my husband up and then he told my husband he was demoted from forman to an operator. can this legally be done my husband retired after 30 years back in june his job tital was Road Forman and it was not my husbands job to check the other employees License the guy was hired for another crew they transfered him over to my husbands crew. my husband is now working on his 5 year drop program.

your husband needs to check the written job description of his position with the employer

there should be a written policy within the job description that states if hr or your husband's supervisor or your husband is responsible for obtaining the driver's license information.

your husband needs to check the company policy to know who is supposed to get the driver's license information on a new hire

that sounds like an hr responsibility when they hired the new employee and they are trying to blame your husband find out from the employer who is required to confirm this information from a newly hired employee if hr is supposed to do it then no, they cannot blame your husband, but you need to find out what the company policy is in new hires and who is responsible for getting that information on a new hire

The city hired an employee and did not copy his Drivers License nor his Social sacurity card.
The superviser hired this man for one crew never asking for his license and then he transfer the employee to my husband's crew.

Not illegal. No law requires the employee copy his I-9 documentation. The employer MAY require an employee's DL number if he is going to drive company vehicles on the job, but copying the license itself is not required. The supervisor may have been written up for not complying with city policy, but what he didn't do was not illegal on its own.

So, your husband tattled on the supervisor when it wasn't his job to monitor whether the supervisor was performing this particular copying task? What part of "bad career move" isn't clear?

I'm not sure what a "drop program" is, but if your husband was a union member, he should have talked to his union about this. But he's retired now, right? Did this demotion have any affect on any retirement benefits?

BTW, I think the word you were looking for was disgusted.

Not illegal. No law requires the employee copy his I-9 documentation. The employer MAY require an employee's DL number if he is going to drive company vehicles on the job, but copying the license itself is not required. The supervisor may have been written up for not complying with city policy, but what he didn't do was not illegal on its own.

So, your husband tattled on the supervisor when it wasn't his job to monitor whether the supervisor was performing this particular copying task? What part of "bad career move" isn't clear?

I'm not sure what a "drop program" is, but if your husband was a union member, he should have talked to his union about this. But he's retired now, right? Did this demotion have any affect on any retirement benefits?

Wrong you miss read things ok My husband did not tattle ok he didn't even know what was going on until they called him into the office the comissioners did an inspection and found this mistake on behalf of the supervisor so they wrote the supervisor up! you know forget this people read into things asthey see it and then down others my Husband did not tattle so back off he should not be called that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Sorry if I misunderstood, but if you had been clearer, I wouldn't have done so.

Short of a CBA of bona fide employment contract, his demotion was not illegal. What does he want to get out of all this?

cunfused wife

He doesn't want anything he worked 30 years to get where he was but his heart was torn aprt because he tried to be a good employee and they belittle him and took what he woeked so hard for away in one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Let me ask a questionif you worked 30 yers and in one day it was taken from you because your supervisor gets upset how would that make you feel as though you were a nobody
I really don't know what advice you are looking for, but Patricia gave you the only answer that is relevant, which is nothing illegal transpired and since your husband has already retired, there isn't anymore that we can suggest he could do or should have done, but you and he need to move on with your lives.

correct, not illegal, but the assumption has to made from the original post that a valid driver's license is required as part of the job that the new hire was hired for. again, my question is, whose responsibility is it to ensure that a new hire has the required licenses/degrees, etc. for the position that they are hired for. who is responsible for hiring is who the responsibility falls on to ensure that a new hire is qualified and holds the required license/certification for the position he was hired for. it certainly cannot be the foreman unless it is in his job description to hire and to ensure that a new hire is qualified to perform the job he was hired for. whoever hired and was responsible for that end of things is the one who should be held accountable for the new hire being fully 'qualified' to do the job. sups and managers are notirious for shifting blame on underlings.

if there is a union involved, then your husband needs to take it up with his union

Last edited:
in another post, the original poster stated that after retirement, her husband returned to the company on some sort of program the employer apparently has to rehire retirees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back