Discrimination or Equal Pay Act violation??? Please Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

305rob305

Hello to everyone,

I need help and some clarification before I even consider seeing an attorney to see if I have a case. I
currently work in a company where there's about 100 employees. There are only two people (including me)
with the same job title. I've been there for four years and the other person for three years. I'm a 28yr old and the other person is a 39yr old female.

The problem I just found out is that there is a huge salary disparity between me and the other lady. First off, I went to Salary.com and according to my job title in my local area, the median annual salary is about
$33,500. I just received a raise this week to $28,500 but what gets me mad the most is that the other lady is making $32,000. This is a huge difference from what I make $13.76 hourly to what she makes $15.37. I
know for a fact that she doesn't have any college degrees that would make her earn more than me. And, what makes this worse is that when our supervisor is not in, I'm the one that takes control of the supervisor's daily duties. So here I am, the person that's been a year longer than the other at work, taking over the supervisor's daily duties when she's out, and without questions working harder than my co-worker and making a lot less money.

I want to mention that the company hired a consultant for Human Resources to oversee and advise. That
person spoke to my supervisor and told her that this situation should be resolved based on the Equal Pay Act.

I'm fed up with this. I've lost total respect for the company that once I felt very proud working in. I should be making 3% to 5% more than the other person (one year seniority) or at the very least the same amount!
What should I do? File a charge with the eeoc or speak to an attorney? Do have a case based on the Equal Pay Act?

I would appreciate your comments!!! Thank you all.

How much relevant experience did she have before coming there? 11 years more than you likely. How much experience did you have before? What is your basis for thinking she is being favored over you due to being female?

How much relevant experience did she have before coming there? 11 years more than you likely. How much experience did you have before? What is your basis for thinking she is being favored over you due to being female?

Supposedly she does have a bit more experience than me BUT then why am I the only taking over the supervisor's roles
when she's not in? Plus, everyone knows at work that I'm the go to person...and not her. Clearly I should be getting paid more or at least even with her....it's not fair.

Supposedly she does have a bit more experience than me BUT then why am I the only taking over the supervisor's roles
when she's not in? Plus, everyone knows at work that I'm the go to person...and not her. Clearly I should be getting paid more or at least even with her....it's not fair.

And, therein lies the operative phrase, "its not fair"!

Many things in life aren't fair.

That doesn't make them illegal.

There is no legal requirement, barring a collective bargaining agreement, that requires an employer to pay employees equally or fairly.

An employer need only have fair employment practices, not fair pay practices.

There is nothing illegal in anything that you've described.

However, discussing the wages received by another employee is the type of thing that can get some employees terminated!

I'd be very careful, if I were you.

You're always free to seek employment with another employer that is willing to pay you what you believe you're worth.

And, therein lies the operative phrase, "its not fair"!

Many things in life aren't fair.

That doesn't make them illegal.

There is no legal requirement, barring a collective bargaining agreement, that requires an employer to pay employees equally or fairly.

An employer need only have fair employment practices, not fair pay practices.

There is nothing illegal in anything that you've described.

However, discussing the wages received by another employee is the type of thing that can get some employees terminated!

I'd be very careful, if I were you.

You're always free to seek employment with another employer that is willing to pay you what you believe you're worth.

I don't have a problem leaving right now if I have too. But, what about the Equal Pay Act? Isn't this law made to make sure that two people gets paid similar the same for the same job? I can add she has no college degree that would make her earn more. I've been there longer and do the supervisors job when she's not there....I think this law implies to this case and I might I have to see a lawyer to know for sure.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem leaving right now if I have too. But, what about the Equal Pay Act? Isn't this law made to make sure that two people gets paid similar the same for the same job? I can add she has no college degree that would make her earn more. I've been there longer and do the supervisors job when she's not there....I think this law implies to this case and I might I have to see a lawyer to know for sure.

Sure, speak to another lawyer to learn that law has nothing to do with your theory.

But, go ahead, investigate.

Sure, speak to another lawyer to learn that law has nothing to do with your theory.

But, go ahead, investigate.

Thanks for your advice. I guess I won't bother speaking to an attorney. I will just wait until my supervisor takes a week long vacation and call in that same day and quit. We'll see how things get done then. I have something else lined up in a totally different industry anyways.

Thanks for your advice. I guess I won't bother speaking to an attorney. I will just wait until my supervisor takes a week long vacation and call in that same day and quit. We'll see how things get done then. I have something else lined up in a totally different industry anyways.

I wish you well.

The best revenge is your success.

The Equal Pay Act does NOT say that everyone doing the same job has to be paid the same. It says that IF there are discrepancies in pay, they cannot be BECAUSE of the gender of the employee.

If she has 11 years more experience than you, then that is a perfectly legal reason to pay her more, even if you take on the supervisor's duties when she is not in.

FYI, Salary.com is known by HR and payroll people the country over to be highly inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back