Disability & QUILDRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGlo

My husband was a firefighter for 36 years and was injured while on a call. The city forced him off for disability (you can not be a firefighter and have hardware in your back) he receives a disability benefit each month that is not payable to his ex-wife under QUILDRO. She is taking us back to court to receive QUILDRO benefits but disability is exempt from that.

My question is our attorney sent us a consent to issuance a QUILDRO form and told us to sign ( there is no court order asking us to) and said,

" I do not believe that there is any reason that you would not sign this. In my opinion, it will not affect your disability benefits. As such please stop by my office and sign the original at your earliest possible convenience."

This man has been our attorney for 16 years on this divorce ( we are in court for one reason after the other several times EACH year by
her ) we don't feel comfortable by this request.

Won't his signing this paper allow her permission to convert this from disability to QUILDRO?

The consent states I John Doe a member of your city fire department hereby irrevocably consent to the issuance of a Qualified Illinois Domestic Relations Order. I understand that under the Order, certain benefits that would otherwise be payable to me, or to my death benefit beneficiaries or estate, will instead be payable to Jane Doe. I also understand that my right to elect certain forms of payment of my retirement benefit or members refund may be limited as a result of the order.

Could any one help?

I want to also state my husband has a terminal lung disease that there is no cure or treatment for. We are currently trying to qualify for a double lung transplant at Barnes Jewish Hospital.

Thank you

My husband was a firefighter for 36 years and was injured while on a call. The city forced him off for disability (you can not be a firefighter and have hardware in your back) he receives a disability benefit each month that is not payable to his ex-wife under QUILDRO. She is taking us back to court to receive QUILDRO benefits but disability is exempt from that.

My question is our attorney sent us a consent to issuance a QUILDRO form and told us to sign ( there is no court order asking us to) and said,

" I do not believe that there is any reason that you would not sign this. In my opinion, it will not affect your disability benefits. As such please stop by my office and sign the original at your earliest possible convenience."

This man has been our attorney for 16 years on this divorce ( we are in court for one reason after the other several times EACH year by
her ) we don't feel comfortable by this request.

Won't his signing this paper allow her permission to convert this from disability to QUILDRO?

The consent states I John Doe a member of your city fire department hereby irrevocably consent to the issuance of a Qualified Illinois Domestic Relations Order. I understand that under the Order, certain benefits that would otherwise be payable to me, or to my death benefit beneficiaries or estate, will instead be payable to Jane Doe. I also understand that my right to elect certain forms of payment of my retirement benefit or members refund may be limited as a result of the order.

Could any one help?

I want to also state my husband has a terminal lung disease that there is no cure or treatment for. We are currently trying to qualify for a double lung transplant at Barnes Jewish Hospital.

Thank you

I suggest you consult with a couple other attorneys in your county.

See what they advise.

Whatever you do, if you don't understand what you're signing, don't sign it!!!!!

I definitely agree that you should run it by a couple of other attorneys. I would not feel comfortable signing this by what you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back